Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 10:06:23 AM EDT
Any recommended reading (for entertainment of course) on how to be a moonshiner, make your own whiskeys etc? I'm a chemist and am curious about this particularly distillation setups. Is there anyone doing this? With my luck it's illegal even for reading about....
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You can own a still but you can't make alcohol with it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marquar] [#2]
1 Take mixture containing ethanol
2 Heat it above the boiling point of ethanol, but below the boiling point of water
3 Cool resulting vapor into a separate container
4 (Optional) Create NASCAR

ETA:
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Seriously?  You've not done an Amazon search?

You can buy a still "to distill essential oils".

It is illegal to distill spirits unless you have the King's permission.

Doo as you will.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#4]
My two favorites.

If you're only going to get one get the "Moonshine" book. It is really really good.

Attachment Attached File

It has some good recipes too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dear big brother: I do not make moonshine, please don't shoot my dog.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
How long, roughly, is the fermenting stage?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Google......

Mile High Distilling based in Colorado.
They not only sell everything needed (most importantly yeast that will live up to 21% mash),
but they also have their own forum that is very helpful.

Being a chemist you already know the distinction temps of the various alcohols.
The real art is in producing a high alcohol mash that enables just the right amount of sugars for the yeast to eat before they die of alcohol poisoning.
To much, and sugars are wasted.
To little, they starve before they die of alcohol poisoning.

Distillation is the easy part.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
View Quote
For high alcohol content ( 20% + ) using aquarium heaters to make the bugs happy,
typically 5 days.

Or so I was told by mythological Gypsies. Of course I have no personal knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It is legal to distill alcohol if you only intend to use it as a fuel.  BATFE will even give you a permit to do so, but you better not get caught using any of the products for anything other than fuel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that aging your home made peach brandy with French oak yields a really tasty product..Basically,, it is peach moonshine aged in French oak.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't already, follow Barley and Hops on YouTube. That guy is brilliant and has a video for any question you might have.

For instance, I've heard the hardest part of making good fuel is deciding when to make the cuts.

Here's his video on the matter.

How do we separate foreshots, heads, hearts and tails?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#12]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I have heard that aging your home made peach brandy with French oak yields a really tasty product..Basically,, it is peach moonshine aged in French oak.
View Quote
A proper distillate will be 100% Ethanol. Flavorless.

It becomes what you want it to be by adding flavor such as oak chips or flavoring.
Remember, the alcohol derives from the waste product of living yeast.
If they can't eat it, it gets trashed with the other distillates, Acetone etc.

Running the 100% Ethanol cut with chlorine free water
(cut to desired % proof)
through coconut carbon filtration is the last step in a goal of zero flavors.

Or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
View Quote
Depends on species of yeast, temperature and your mash type. Waterbed heaters work the best for temperature control, secured to your mash tank exterior.
Yeast is anaerobic, does not need O2 to produce ethanol. Yeast can be reused as when the ethanol gets too high the yeast husks up and sinks to bottom of the mash tank. That is a good thing as distilling yeast adds bad flavors to your distillate.
Duck Duck Go search is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#15]
Originally Posted By Muricha:

A proper distillate will be 100% Ethanol. Flavorless.

It becomes what you want it to be by adding flavor such as oak chips or flavoring.
Remember, the alcohol derives from the waste product of living yeast.
If they can't eat it, it gets trashed with the other distillates, Acetone etc.

Running the 100% Ethanol cut with chlorine free water
(cut to desired % proof)
through coconut carbon filtration is the last step in a goal of zero flavors.

Or so I've heard.
View Quote
Not true, ethanol and water form an azeotrope at 95.6% ethanol. That means you can't get a more concentrated distillate than 95.6%, at least with normal distilling equipment. Azeotrope means that the water and ethanol at that percentage have the same boiling point (ie, they distill together).  So there will always be some flavor (water), albeit small, if using a reflux still to get the highest proof.

You can use other means to get to 100% (Azeotrope distilling, molecular seives, etc), but you can't remove all of the water in a distilling operation (using the distilling equipment most people use).

Look up Raoult's law, or more specifically look up positive deviations from Raoult's law.

Edit: check out this article https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember the movie The Great Escape.  Suposedly they made moonshine from potato peelings (potatoes were for eating, not booze).  

So, how'd dey do dat?

Boil the peels, collect the vapors and then collect them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top