Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2019 5:13:46 PM EDT
I am looking for some fiction (preferably on audible) that focuses on the survival/scavenging aspects more than combat.  My favorite part of post apoc books is when the protagonist is on their own searching for supplies etc. and sadly those parts are usually short.  I understand their needs to be "conflict" to advance the plot.  Almost a narrative version of "The Long Dark"  (video game).

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
299 days series

After it happens

Sunfall..

1 second after
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Day by Day Armageddon
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayGhost] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kujoe:
Day by Day Armageddon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kujoe:
Day by Day Armageddon
For a non-zombie story, J. L. Bourne also wrote a EOTWAWKI book called "Tomorrow War."

I enjoyed the series so far.

I'll give one small spoiler that sounded too true to life (given the real life confiscation seen in the Katrina aftermath):  Click To View Spoiler

"Tomorrow War" by J.L. Bourne

"On an unacknowledged mission inside the Syrian border, a government operative unwittingly triggers an incredible event that unleashes a weapon with the power to destroy the moral fabric of humanity. As the crisis unfolds, hyperinflation cripples the US economy. Families struggle to find food, water, and electricity. Post-war armored military vehicles patrol the streets as martial law is imposed.

The US government appears to offer salvation, but there is a sinister catch...

One man stands up to push back against a high tech, tyrannical enemy hell-bent on ripping liberty from the pages of future history. But as vital supplies and makeshift weaponry are running out, so is time…and he will have to use every resource and survival tactic to fight for survival: for himself and his home."
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sefus] [#5]
I hear Against the Grain from Ian Daniels, plus the prequel and sequel, are worth a read
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Any more to follow?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Max brooks zombie survival guide
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
Any more to follow?
View Quote
Not sure if you mean me. If so, nothing is really being currently worked on in the Against the Grain series. I have three others that Ive been playing with for a while now though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Mark Goodwins books

Black Autumn is also good
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Going Home" series by A. American is pretty decent
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
earth abides
alas babylon
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you read the thread stickied at the top of this sub-forum, lots of great books listed.

link
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Smitty357:
earth abides
alas babylon
View Quote
Alas Babylon was an awesome book. I read it in the 1980’s.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sefus:
I hear Against the Grain from Ian Daniels, plus the prequel and sequel, are worth a read
View Quote
I just started re-reading that for the third time today.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Lucifer's Hammer

8nBAIT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top