Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2009 2:31:52 PM EDT
Title says it all.  Rereading them for the 4th time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It's almost published.

I emailed him a while back and he said 45-60 days and that was about three weeks ago.

So....Soon.

Granted not everything goes to plan and delays happen.

But I'm anxiously awaiting it too. Also, it's called "Remnant"

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Where can you order this and how much?  Are the other 2 in published form?
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Deep Winter
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deep Winter

Thanks.  I'm going to wait until Remnant comes out then I'm ordering all three at once to save shipping.

Are the published books different then the ones on the internet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Personally, I'd prefer there to be more charecter development and to ease up on the religious aspects of the storylines. Not to mention that the stories sorta read like an anti-gov't types wet dream rather than something that would actually happen. I had to suspend my disbelief quite a bit while reading them, something that generally gets in the way of enjoying a good piece of SHTF fiction for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone is going to order any of Tom Sherry's books, I would contact him directly via email.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The Deep Winter Blog.

http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com/

Decided to get off the dime and let everyone know what's going on in the life of the Drummonds. An update from the middle of the current book, 'Remnant', which none of you have had a chance to read. A little peek in the form of a Christmas letter.

More coming to the blog soon...

Tom S.

But, in the meantime, for the many faithful at AR.15.com, here's the whole post from the blog:

The first post on the new blog.

The new blog. The first post. A little intimidating, I’ll have to say. Kind of like the decision to jump off the dock, not quite knowing how cold the June lake water really is....

Most of the writing I’ve done in the past four years has been written, proofed and uploaded after much consideration. Sometimes, after little consideration. Some, over the past two years, was never posted, and was tossed and re-written. History and current events sometimes drive things in different directions, even in the fictional universe.

In 2005, I began the story entitled ‘Deep Winter’. Many have wondered about its’ origins. It was literally, a single post on a web forum that shall remain nameless, designed to make people think about what they’d do, if they were caught in the same situation as the guy and his family in the story.

Five pages, I think it was.

I was then asked…or, hounded, into ‘more.’ Alan Hagan warned me, ‘don’t start or they’ll never let you alone’ and he was certainly correct. The five pages became the first chapter. The short story turned to a dozen chapters, then thirty, then sixty. It covered a little bit of ground, and six hundred sixty-two pages.

Then a second book, 'Shatter', well over six hundred pages. Then, a third…it’s in editing now, and will be arriving soon. It'll be hefty.

For the several thousand faithful readers, chapters will be uploaded to the blog, first, and when we’re done with the editing and can final PRINT the final version. We should arrive at that date on the blog and in the real world at the same time.

First though, a Christmas letter from the Drummonds, for those of you hungering for an update, just below.

If you're a new reader and want to get a PDF of the stories, email me at [email protected], and I'll send them on along. I also sell the hardcopies directly, autographed and mailed anywhere in the lower 48, at the price of $30 each. Again, shoot me an email for the particulars. Waaay less than Amazon, Borders, or the printer of the books, Lulu.com. I think they're charging more than they ought, but don't really have control over that....

Enough of the author. Let's find out how the Drummonds are:

We hope this letter finds you healthy and well, through this most trying year. The Spokane Drummonds have had far too many adventures this past year, but we are most thankful to have survived the trials and look forward to a peaceful future, however distant that might seem. The mail seems to be working now and then, so we hope this gets through.

Of course, we began the year with record snowfall and cold, and we enjoyed that relative peace for all of fourteen days before our world was turned upside-down with the Domino earthquake. We survived that largely uninjured, despite all the damage to the house. All of our local troubles were minor compared to what the Seattle area endured—and there really aren’t words adequate for the many thousands lost. We elected to stay in Spokane, and lived in the barn in rather primitive conditions for a couple of months. We were joined in ‘barn living’ by our friends Ron and Libby Martin and their son John and daughter Marie. Within a few days of the quake, Karen’s Mom, her older brother Alan, and his wife Mary and their two little ones also joined us in the Valley, taking up residence in a vacant home for the duration. We worked with scrounged materials and traded for more lumber and things to repair our house, and moved back ‘home’ in April.

We lost many friends in the quake and of course in the flu, many as-yet uncounted as we haven’t had any correspondence or contact with much of the country since early spring. Two of Rick’s brothers have gone home this year, as well as some of our cousins. We have not had word of our remaining family members behind The Line since the spring. We pray that they are safe, and have continued to remember them in our prayers daily. The unrest that went along with the troubles locally was all too close as well, but things have settled down in the past few weeks, and we hope the future will be brighter.

Spokane is now home to around fifty-thousand residents (which is an educated guess), about ten percent of what the region held previously—although there hasn’t really been a true census, so we really don’t know for sure how many live in the county anymore. It is certainly a fraction of a year ago.

We take great pride in our children Kelly and Carl, who have far exceeded our expectations and taken on many new challenges and many, many responsibilities this year. Kelly is now working on Freshman high-school level work, as well as learning about the necessities of ‘farm life’ these days. Carl is sixteen this year, and is working on Senior-level classes, and some college-level material as well. Life has certainly changed for both of them this year. Both kids are helping in our farm-fields, with our livestock, and are both pretty-good farm-tractor wranglers these days! Of course, just like Mom and Dad, they despise mucking out the barn. I think we’d be worried about them if they didn’t…

Karen has ‘worked her tail off’ (literally, she’s lost a number of sizes this year) in keeping the clan fed, watered and housed. Her ‘extracurricular activities’ include working at one of the orphanages set up in the Valley and helping take care of her Mom, Grace. Grace had a bad fall in November, and is recuperating in a new adult-care home that we’ve set up next door to our house. There are many in need, and few to serve. We have been richly blessed with help for Grace and her two roommates, good medical care, and that which Providence has provided.

Rick’s business of course was lost in the Domino, but he’s had a number of enterprises to keep him busy this year, including setting up a store with Alan and Ron for the local residents to trade and buy supplies and produce, to serving as County Administrator. As administrator, he helped get the County government reorganized and working again, along with utility service and peace-keeping and getting trade established. “Trade” means anything that keeps people working and fed these days. Rick was badly injured in an aircraft accident in August, while traveling back to Spokane from Walla Walla. He spent about two months recovering, before briefly resuming his duties for the County. In November though, Rick was commissioned by Governor Hall to serve as Brigade Commander for the Third Washington, and has since deployed to Colorado and ‘points East.’ Third Washington is a support brigade, their first mission was to recover the fallen from Sixth Army. Rick hasn’t spoken about it, and I expect that this was one of the most difficult things he’s ever done.

Please write and let us know how things are in your corner of the country. We look forward to the day when we can see you in peace within a land undivided.

God Bless—
Karen, Rick, Kelly and Carl Drummond

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
and new stuff up there as of ten minutes ago...
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I'd prefer there to be more charecter development and to ease up on the religious aspects of the storylines. Not to mention that the stories sorta read like an anti-gov't types wet dream rather than something that would actually happen. I had to suspend my disbelief quite a bit while reading them, something that generally gets in the way of enjoying a good piece of SHTF fiction for me.

^^^^^
are you sure you're not thinking of "patriots", i got most of what you wrote from patriots but not really any of it, at least not nearly at a comparible level from "deep winter" or "shatter"?..

TSherry please IM/email me when "remnant" is ready to go i'll be wanting to add an autographed copy of it to my collection of the first two of the trilogy...

K.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Will do..thanks––

Tom S.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

are you sure you're not thinking of "patriots", i got most of what you wrote from patriots but not really any of it, at least not nearly at a comparible level from "deep winter" or "shatter"?..

I  haven't read Patriots. I DID read both Deep Winter and Shatter as I was coming back from Astan, as I had downloaded them with other on-line SHTF fiction in order to have something to read during the trip.

I wasn't trying to criticize, really. I know its tough to write fiction, and he's certainly dabbled in it more than I have. I read a lot of EOTWAWKI fiction though, and I think his stories could use the improvments I mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  haven't read Patriots. I DID read both Deep Winter and Shatter as I was coming back from Astan, as I had downloaded them with other on-line SHTF fiction in order to have something to read during the trip.

I wasn't trying to criticize, really. I know its tough to write fiction, and he's certainly dabbled in it more than I have. I read a lot of EOTWAWKI fiction though, and I think his stories could use the improvments I mentioned.
Personally for me, they are perfect as they are written.The characters in Deep Winter/Shatter are like every day normal people that I know in real life.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally for me, they are perfect as they are written.The characters in Deep Winter/Shatter are like every day normal people that I know in real life.

Then they work for you, right?I was simply making suggestions for bringing the stories up to other EOTWAWKI type fiction.
I don't know many people who would fit the charecters completely, but its a work of fiction. Suspension of disbelief and all......
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fair enough, i wasn't flaming btw... just a heads up though if tsherry's works bothered you becasue of religous aspects(and i can understand i'm not a religious guy myself) then do not read "patriots" for there be a lots and lots of praying included. i really just don't remeber being put off by similar in "deep winter" and "shatter" though i'm sure there is some religious stuff in there as i know the author is a religious fellow(again not my thing but no flame and no lack of respect intended, roll with what works for you)...

as far as taking a few literary pot shots at the govt. well imho the govt. is pretty F'n inept, so that bothers me not in the least, and imho is probably deserved...

K.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr Sherry is one of the best writers of TEOTWAWKI fiction in my years of reading this stuff.It blows One Second After out of the water (that story was just OK) His stories have brought my thinking on this subject (TEOTWAWKI) to a new level.Its not how can I survive, its now how can my community survive and prosper.What older technologies can still work for us (I'd like to see more of this in his stories) Can't wait for the sequel Sir. Posted from the Canadian Territories.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, my personal feeling is that Mr. Sherry can write his story anyway he feels like it, since he is the author, be it from a religious point etc etc. I like his style of writing and I hope he keeps it that way. Some of the story is from his personal experience. From what I understand alcoholic brother in the story is real life truth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fair enough, i wasn't flaming btw... just a heads up though if tsherry's works bothered you becasue of religous aspects(and i can understand i'm not a religious guy myself) then do not read "patriots" for there be a lots and lots of praying included. i really just don't remeber being put off by similar in "deep winter" and "shatter" though i'm sure there is some religious stuff in there as i know the author is a religious fellow(again not my thing but no flame and no lack of respect intended, roll with what works for you)...

as far as taking a few literary pot shots at the govt. well imho the govt. is pretty F'n inept, so that bothers me not in the least, and imho is probably deserved...

K.

First of all, all comments welcome.  None of what i've read here remotely comes close to a 'flame.' The vitriolic flames put up on Amazon, etc. by a small number of readers who absolutely despise the writing style, character development, attention to detail, sexist attitudes toward women, complete lack of strong female characters, etc. (I paraphrase some of those, but if you wander into the 'Reviews' section of DW or SH, you'll see I'm not far off the mark.) Those reviews made me wonder if they'd even read the same story.  I had (and still have) no idea what most of their comments were about.

The story evolution does delve into the spirituality of both the author and the protagonist, and I'm attempting to illustrate quiet strength through belief, rather than hammering one over the head with it like some other stories (both from a Christian point of view and other faiths as well.)  Dies the Fire just became unreadable to me because of the wiccan references constantly overwhelming the flow of the story.     I'm not going to get into the whole salvation thing more than the story does at present. Mr. Drummonds strength though, and resolve, are possible because of his belief.  If someone believes that the Earth Mother is protecting them and that once they're gone from this earth, they're gone from existence, then so be it.  

A lot of the 'style' of religious topics in the story is because I thought Patriots was so far over the top.  No one talks like that, acts like that. The characters in this story, most of them modeled after real-life people, are the way the people are, and act the way the people act, for the most part.   Interestingly, it seems that about 70% of the readership of the stories are women. It is their first introduction into the potential perils we all face.  Not by intention of course, just an interesting tidbit.

Yep, I beat up on local government. I have known local officials not unlike the unfortunates in Shatter.  I am afraid for our nation, that I have characters in Remnant who are not unlike other electeds in history, who have taken their nations down pathways that end badly for all involved.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
All I know is I am waiting for your next book. I loved the other two and have passed them on to my other friends to read. Please make it soon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#21]
New chapters over on the blog

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Kar15 &  tc556guy: Not meant to be a flame but just good discussion. I just love the ARFCOM SF.

Quoted:

Made it hot.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Great beginning for Book #3  - Thank you for blogging it.
I can't wait until it gets published - need to get #3 autographed also!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great beginning for Book #3  - Thank you for blogging it.
I can't wait until it gets published - need to get #3 autographed also!!

If I didn't have this day job thing, it'd been done a good year ago.......not complaining about having an income though....
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Great series TS...

Will more chapters be posted soon on your blog? Was left hanging at the bank

And the $24 question... will Remnant be availible soon?

Regards,
Dan
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great series TS...

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for chapter 15... Got a release date for Remnant?

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great series TS...

Regards,
Dan

16 is up now...I'm working 10's and 12's right now...I have about 20 chapters of edits to muddle through, and I don't like the cover art I came up with, so that's changing. The material going up on the blog is the last issue prior to the edits, but there isn't significant story change. I should be going to final proof about the time the final chapter(s) get uploaded to the blog. Month? or so.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:I should be going to final proof about the time the final chapter(s) get uploaded to the blog.

Do you need another proof reader?  I have experience as a copy editor for my wife's magazine and for several local authors.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great series TS...

Regards,
Dan

16 is up now...I'm working 10's and 12's right now...I have about 20 chapters of edits to muddle through, and I don't like the cover art I came up with, so that's changing. The material going up on the blog is the last issue prior to the edits, but there isn't significant story change. I should be going to final proof about the time the final chapter(s) get uploaded to the blog. Month? or so.

How many chapters total for Remnant?  I don't want to start reading it and then be stuck waiting.  I see that you are up to Chapter 22 now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm enjoying the story.  Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great series TS...

Regards,
Dan

How many chapters total for Remnant?  I don't want to start reading it and then be stuck waiting.  I see that you are up to Chapter 22 now.

There's a nice, even sixty, just like the first two.
Chapter 24 just posted.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great series TS...

Regards,
Dan

There's a nice, even sixty, just like the first two.
Chapter 24 just posted.

I'll just wait and order the complete book and the first 2 from you when Remnant comes out.  I don't want to have to wait for releases once I start reading.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
TAG!   I'm waiting to order all three from Tsherry myself...    Money in hand waiting to buy them from you Tsherry!  
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I just finished Chapter 25 and I'm wanting MOAR! Can't wait to see where the sequel or three-quel leads.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#36]
So, I'm curious to see if anyone in the AR15 universe is tracking the progress of the story in Google Earth or Mapquest or another online mapping program.  This was brought up by another reader, who was following the story around as she read it on line, one monitor with the story and the second monitor cued up to Google Earth Streetview, looking at places that I was describing in the story.

For places that I am not personally familiar with, that program was invaluable in selecting landmarks and bringing the local flavor to the storyline, especially important in Remnant, where landmarks, strategy and tactics can be more clear to the reader....

Just curious...thanks.

Tom S.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Thirty chapters....half of the book...now up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, I'm curious to see if anyone in the AR15 universe is tracking the progress of the story in Google Earth or Mapquest or another online mapping program.  This was brought up by another reader, who was following the story around as she read it on line, one monitor with the story and the second monitor cued up to Google Earth Streetview, looking at places that I was describing in the story.

For places that I am not personally familiar with, that program was invaluable in selecting landmarks and bringing the local flavor to the storyline, especially important in Remnant, where landmarks, strategy and tactics can be more clear to the reader....

Just curious...thanks.

Tom S.

I will be now.

I did refer to Google maps, just to see where the towns and some of the other things were in relation to one another since I've never been to Washington.  Never even thought to use street view or a terrain map....
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Please IM me when the book is finished. I have thoroughly enjoyed your first two book and cannot wait to buy the 3rd.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Please IM me when the book is finished. I have thoroughly enjoyed your first two book and cannot wait to buy the 3rd.

Will do!
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Chapter 32?
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Both 32 and 33 went missing, although deep in the guts of the navigation of the site, they were showing. Deleted and reposted, and there they are.

I hope....
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Please IM me when the book is finished.

I would like also like to know if the books will be available on Kindle?

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I will try to get the Kindle versions completed within the next couple of weeks. Suddenly, we're insanely busy at work. Not much time in the time bank!
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Just posted another chapter over on the blog.
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#47]
does anyone have a link to this blog? I can't seem to find it
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will try to get the Kindle versions completed within the next couple of weeks. Suddenly, we're insanely busy at work. Not much time in the time bank!

Quality is worth the wait. Take your time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2010 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com/2009/12/remnant-chapter-1.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com/2009/12/remnant-chapter-1.html

43 Chapters now up. This one is hard to read. It was very hard to write.

Tom S.

(still have not had time to fiddle around with Kindle formats....)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top