Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 5:22:52 AM EDT
The current thread about Anaphalaxis Shock has motivated me to find a good outdoor medical reference guide and sign up for my refresher First Aid class. I would appreciate any advice about a guide and any topics I should concentrate on in a first aid class.

AccurateOne
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have found a good guide for outdoor first aid is the NOLS Wilderness First Aid guide.

(From Amazon, obviously!)

A bonus for this book is that it assumes you can't just call 911 and have the paramedics there in under five minutes. It assumes there will be a delay in getting advanced help to the patient, or the patient to advanced help, so provides some additional guidance for longer-term care.

It's written for the NOLS instructors taking classes into the wilds, and presumes some medical training, but is not written for the medical professional.

See if your library can get it, or the used editions are pretty reasonable at Amazon. I liked it so much I added it to my library.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan
(RN/Paramedic)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top