Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like we may have been "Swindled" once again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shadrach] [#2]
No, I have been trying to nail down the ending...Here it is rough and subject to change.

03/31/10

Feel like my world has been turned upside down. It started yesterday when I got back to my old house.  As I drove up two strange vehicles were sitting in the yard.
The kids were first out on the porch followed closely by a half dozen strange men and a little girl. As I got closer I realized that little girl was Amy. The sick feeling I had when I first seen the men was replaced by elation at seeing Amy again. Once I got parked everyone approached and things started to get out of hand. Amy embraced my legs as the men she was with prepared to shoot me in the head. It was obvious they realized exactly what I am. When one of them grabbed Amy’s arm and started dragging her away I hit him. That’s when everything really went downhill. Mike chambered a round in his M4 and aimed it at one of the men aiming at my head and ordered him to lower his weapon or die. Alexis also stepped forward revolver in each hand, muzzle of each against the skull of two more men. Everyone froze for what seemed like an eternity, I could imagine everything going to shit and the kids having nowhere to settle down and have the baby.

The rather uncomfortable silence was broken by Amy. She pushed the muzzle of the nearest rifle up away from my head and told them to let me go. The tension seemed to lift. Mike and Alexis lowered their weapons and Mike nodded toward the Dodge and said the keys are in it. After I said my goodbyes and gave  Alexis and Amy a quick hug I got my baseball bat and everything else out of the moving truck and loaded it into the Dodge. As I drove out of the yard I swear my heart was being ripped apart. I seem to lose everyone I love.  I drove for a long time. The truck ran out of fuel a little while ago. Decided to write some of this down and kind of vent a little while before I refuel the truck.

04/04/10

I’ve been headed roughly West for the last several days. The first day or two are just kind of a blur. I remember coming close to blowing my own head off just outside of Oklahoma City before I came to my right mind and quit crying long enough to put down some undead that were attracted to the truck.
 I knew the kids and me were going to separate so I’m not sure why it bothers me so much. Feels like we were ripped apart and not just separated. Decided to head out toward the desert south west. Arizona, Utah and just see what I can get into. There have to be some more answers out there. I can feel it.

04/05/10

I thought it was lightning at first but, I could have sworn that there were angels charging across the sky and the lightning was following them. It lasted for just a few seconds and trailed all the way across the sky from East to West. The thunder was enough to bring me to my knees but, it wasn’t normal thunder. It was a series of booming voices proclaiming the dominion of the Lord God over the Earth. I have to admit my undead heart jumped at the sight of the Herald Angels. A real honest sign from Heaven. I never thought I would ever see a sign from heaven in my lifetime. I guess I didn’t since I’m not alive anymore but, still.

05/07/10

I’m stuck for a while I guess.  I am in Reno Nevada or under it I should say. I got sloppy and the military moved into town right after sunrise this morning. They had the whole town surrounded so I have taken cover in a storm drain. Every now and then I can hear them move by the drain I came in through. Twice they have shined a light in but, I am deep enough and there is enough bend in the pipe that they haven’t seen me. If they don’t climb down I should be o.k. Got just enough sunlight coming in so I can see to write. I’ve got a good flashlight but, I’m afraid they will see the glow and investigate. It started this morning, I heard a helicopter go over low and slow. Within ten minutes I was hearing gunfire in the distance from every direction. I headed for the truck but, the sound of gunfire came closer and closer until I caught a glimpse of an armored troop carrier down the street. That’s when I decided to hide instead of trying to run. I figure I will have to stay here until at least nightfall.

Scared me a few minutes ago. I heard several soldiers talking and coming closer to the drain I came in through. They stopped near the entrance and began discussing tossing a grenade in to “make sure” the drain was clear. I was busy scuffling farther down the tunnel and cringing when someone else walked up and hollered at Andrews to put the damn grenade up before he hurt someone. Andrews said “yes Sir” then his and another voice started trying to explain that they just wanted to make sure the drain was clear. The voice that originally hollered at Andrews asked him “Have you ever seen a undead that didn’t come to the sound of your voice if they could hear you?” Andrews answered “No Sir”. O.K.  then the hole is clear, all of you go and help Phillips. That was about an hour ago. Since then I have heard some shouting and orders given then a lot of vehicles starting and moving away. I’m going to give it about thirty more minutes before I try peeking out. If it’s clear I’m going to get the hell out of here. Sounded like the troops moved out toward the South so I’m going to head North. Still have work to do.

07/17/09

Can’t believe I haven’t written in so long. A lot has happened in the last couple months. Judging from the radio the war is over. Another day or two and everything will start going back to normal according to the guy that does “The Great Rebuilding”  show on the radio every night at seven O’clock. Our military has really kicked some ass, as usual. Judging by how hard I have had it the last couple months sneaking around from pocket to pocket of undead one step ahead of our troops. I have killed thousands upon thousands but, they have killed millions upon millions.

According to the military radio I am just inside the last town to be cleaned up Vernon Utah. I got here just a few hours ago and looks like I’m cut off unless I want to hide in the sewer/ storm drains like I did in Reno. I think I’ll pass. This feels like the end. If they don’t come in to quick I might even be able to lay down a few undead before it’s my turn. I’m tired so tired. I’m ready to see my family again. I feel like it’s nearly time.

07/21/09 “everything after the date was water stained and more than a little difficult to read, punctuation and some grammar changed from original text to make reading easier ”

The town is clear, I am tired...So tired. I’m glad none of these good men and women coming here today will have to risk themselves. Illegible writing in the middle of town at the end of my search spiral.  Having hallucinations, I swear I heard my boys playing in this little park. I actually thought I saw Carolyn earlier today. Just a glimpse far enough ahead for me not to be really sure. I hear the soldiers coming. Want to pray before they get here.

L.A. Times, third floor desk of Mark Jackson Editor’s Assistant

Mark looked up from the journal. So far he had been at his desk for over nine hours straight, reading and rereading the journal. He had made several calls to check details and validate parts of the story. At last he looked up and decided to make one last call. In a way he hated to make this call even with a seemingly solid story. If he hadn’t already checked out so many details he wouldn’t make the call at all. He had already settled just about every favor owed to him by friends still on active duty in the military, tracing down people and details. Everything matched, it had to be true. Or at least most of it. Still the Boss was a hard man, ex-FBI with a degree in criminal law; he didn’t miss a detail and loved picking any story apart.
 Finally he decided to commit and make the call. It didn’t go quite like he had imagined. The Boss actually tried to tell him they couldn’t run the story at all, let along tomorrow. Mark thought he was going to be fired for sure but, he stood his ground and insisted in no-uncertain terms that the story make print as soon as possible. Finally the Boss gave in and told him to bring the journal over to his flat down town so they could work out the layout and all the details. Mark was ecstatic as he left the building and headed down the street to the corner, so ecstatic that he didn’t notice two men dressed as day laborers following him. As he approached the crosswalk he pressed the button to cross and started whistling. Other than a little irritation when someone bumped him he didn’t really feel anything as the passing concrete truck slammed into him. Mark was crushed to the point he could only be identified by the press pass in his wallet. The two day laborers stopped to help him, just before disappearing into the crowd with the journal.

The next morning Colonel Bob Smith died of a sudden and unexpected drug induced heart attack. At the discretion of the N.S.A. director all other involved civilians and military personnel were offered the chance to sign non-disclosure agreements. Under threat of death, all accepted.    

Please keep in mind that this is my work and I do not authorize reproduction for profit or gain. If you do wish to reproduce this work request permission first. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I got to go start over from the begining!

Glad you didnt forget us!!!!!  THanks!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still not really happy with the ending but, I hope you enjoy the read.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By shadrach:
I'm still not really happy with the ending but, I hope you enjoy the read.

Its been a great read from the beginning! Thank You Sir for all your effort in producing this fine story.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the closure.
great story
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
WOOOO!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maknop] [#8]
Very unique and enjoyable zombie fiction story. Thank you shadrach!
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!  Thank you for your work!
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you!

Kept me entertained last night on a flight from NY to FL for a bit.

Looking forward to more chapters.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome story so far. I'm really enjoying it since it starts out in my old stomping grounds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Shadrach,
    Thank you for a very entertaining story. It is just what I needed to fill my time at the beach while on vacation. I hope you receive all the blessings you work so hard for. You have a talent that deserves recognition.

God bless
Thebrain
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Just finished reading, thanks for a fantastic story.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Well done sir. Thank you again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Great read. Thank you very much. Im glad i stuck with it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh most excellent!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn!  That was a great story but the ending is bugging the shit outta me!!   GRRRRRRR
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Has it been that long?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By garanditis:
Has it been that long?
View Quote
no
it's been even longer
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]

For the newbs, good zombie story written by one of our own...
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I remember this one. I'll have to go back through it again.

There used to be so many good stories posted on here.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top