Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2011 6:42:01 AM EDT
Here he is moments after the shot waiting for it to go down.  It was walking away from us so he couldn't shoot again, but it wasn't necessary.   Both lungs were gone.

The antelope is down and you can see him about 250 yards out.   Brett had to lead him just a bit as he was walking and it was almost too much.  

Here's my very proud boy..  Not the biggest buck ever, only 14" but it was a great shot and only about an hour of hunting.   We messed up on 3 other bucks before he could finally get on this one and take a shot.   His new favorite rifle is now the DPMS LR-308JP. .  I loaded up some 150gr sierra SP for his big game hunting this year.   They track the same as my match loads out to 600yrds.  Brett put the round just in front of the shoulder.   It went through taking the front of both lungs.   The buck walked about 50yrds after the shot, bleeding out the whole way.   It was a hell of a blood trail.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Good on him!!!!

I'm heading out to Gillette in a couple of weeks to try to get one myself, I heard the antelope in that area got nailed hard last year though.  I'm haveing a hard time trying to find a ranch to hunt, all of them are saying there aren't any goats left to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]
That is awesome. Great shooting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good on him!!!!

I'm heading out to Gillette in a couple of weeks to try to get one myself, I heard the antelope in that area got nailed hard last year though.  I'm haveing a hard time trying to find a ranch to hunt, all of them are saying there aren't any goats left to hunt.

Just getting a permit is almost impossible in my area anymore.    25yrs ago, I could have my pick of areas(big horn basin) and guaranteed a permit.     Now, hardly anyone draws anymore.    It's really frustrating as a parent when your kids can't always or even every once in a while, draw a permit like I could as a kid.     I assume it's because the numbers are down, but it's not hard to find antelope when we go out.  

We stopped at my moms house and  tried to shoot a real nice buck there but he got away from us, and my son wasn't comfortable with the 400 yrd shot off of her fence next to her house.   I think he would have been fine.  The Zeiss scope makes it pretty easy.   There wasn't a whiff of wind.   I hoped we would get him, as his ancestor, my first antelope ever, is still on my wall; it just would have been cool for my son to shoot one within yards of where i shot my first.  

Anyway, no problem finding the critters.    Hope you do well..
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job!

Hopefully i just bought my last preference point for Wyoming and should be out hunting next year. Trying to draw a tag in Idaho is a joke....
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad buck at all. My buddy and I are leaving next monday morning for Wyoming to hunt antelope and mulies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top