Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 2/28/2017 12:30:25 PM EDT
As many of you may know, and many more may not, we have our few acres out in the country and we are doing our best to make the most of it. We have a large garden, chickens (meat and eggs), cows (dairy), and pigs coming in the spring (meat). We already cook from scratch, eat organically, don't eat out, etc.

Next year, once the dairy starts after calving (hoping that all goes well), we want to have a year of living on what we produce, or as close to that as we possibly can. The reasons are many for us wanting to do this. Our kids are exempt of course, and we won't suffer needlessly (anything we buy in will be carefully logged and tracked).

This year, we are gearing up toward that goal. Getting ready for the pigs, moving the chickens and getting ready for a bigger flock, making more pasture land for the cows, etc. Hopefully, getting the insomnia that my 2 year old son suffers from under control when he starts talking will happen as well!

We have a few leads on local organic raw milk so we will start our dairy operations this year: making our own butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.

So my reason for this post is this question: Is there enough interest to make youtube videos (starting this year) of the adventure? Not just to share the highlights, but also the struggles and failures of trying to produce your own food on small acreage and for little money?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd watch them....but that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd watch them....but that's just me.
View Quote
Knowing you, somehow that doesn't surprise me 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I would, I'm entertaining the idea of expanding my sustenance beyond the present chickens, and garden.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd watch, I'm subbed to this thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd watch! I really envy the people that have the full off grid life I wish I could take a month and try it for myself
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Count me in. Very interested.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Poll added!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'll burn out quickly if you do them very regularly. Every flipping 12 year old and 40 year old living in mommy's basement that has never done $hit will post that you should do this or that differently or otherwise post some retarded comment that they have NO IDEA about.

For example- "the light on your inverter is going to IGNITE the hydrogen gas put off by your battery bank and it's going to blow up"
 That's a real comment some a$tard put on one of my videos....

This after 8 years or more of having that system. How the #$%$ is an enclosed LED light on an inverter going to "ignite" battery gasses?

Or how about starting a video showing that your using a FAKE hard rubber rifle and show that by bending the barrel, then have some dumbass post "you shouldn't point the gun at the camera."

Trust me, this $hit gets REALLY old and you'll be throwing your hands up thinking to yourself- "damn, I'm working my arse off here giving away free info and some slugs are just crying that I said something wrong, or didn't put out a new video (free chicken for them) every 2.5 seconds."  "Why haven't you put out new videos?" CAUSE OF THE FRICKIN RETARDS!!!

If your going to do it, do it for yourself, do it when YOU feel like doing it and to hell with retards with no experience leaving dumb comments.
View Quote
I appreciate that post. I really do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You'll burn out quickly if you do them very regularly. Every flipping 12 year old and 40 year old living in mommy's basement that has never done $hit will post that you should do this or that differently or otherwise post some retarded comment that they have NO IDEA about.

For example- "the light on your inverter is going to IGNITE the hydrogen gas put off by your battery bank and it's going to blow up"
 That's a real comment some a$tard put on one of my videos....

This after 8 years or more of having that system. How the #$%$ is an enclosed LED light on an inverter going to "ignite" battery gasses?

Or how about starting a video showing that your using a FAKE hard rubber rifle and show that by bending the barrel, then have some dumbass post "you shouldn't point the gun at the camera."

Trust me, this $hit gets REALLY old and you'll be throwing your hands up thinking to yourself- "damn, I'm working my arse off here giving away free info and some slugs are just crying that I said something wrong, or didn't put out a new video (free chicken for them) every 2.5 seconds."  "Why haven't you put out new videos?" CAUSE OF THE FRICKIN RETARDS!!!

If your going to do it, do it for yourself, do it when YOU feel like doing it and to hell with retards with no experience leaving dumb comments.
View Quote

This sometimes when people fight to put videos out every week or so they struggle for quality content so personally I would chose quality over quality
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I voted every 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like what we want to do.  I'd definitely check out what you're doing.  Hell, if I'm close enough, I'll come help :)

I voted weekly but anywhere between weekly and monthly would work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I guess I'll be making the vids, so long as something doesn't come up.

I looked at what a decent DSLR camera/mic/etc setup costs to have a better "production quality", and lets just say that won't happen anytime soon.

Get ready for shitty audio and zoom noise 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll watch too.  This interests me a lot.

Thanks.

as far as comments by people that watch your videos?  Just like the star ratings on products, only the people that love it or hate it will post.  The vast majority will just watch, nod their heads approvingly and move along.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
In to gawk!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Please don't take this the wrong way because I know nothing about you or your skills.  

I would watch a daily blog of what your doing because it sounds awesome, but only if it's got decent videography.  I can't stand youtube homesteaders/craftsman who have great product and knowledge but they can't present it or the message doesn't get across because you're too busy trying not to get seasick watching the video or the content is interrupted by them yelling at their dog/wife/children or my favorite when they stop for 5 minutes because they forgot to prep something for the video and proceed to prep it...while they're still recording

Anyway, I'll refrain from voting until I see some example vids
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll watch..but make sure your camera is on a secure tripod...that you have a good microphone..but not to good mind you..if it p8cks up a rooster crowing 100 yards away or a plane going over it really detracts from the quality of it. Record in stereo if doing a "vlog" type movie. 
Don't use the words-
Um
Huh
Yeah
Uhuh
Hmm
Smack your lips..twirl your hair or look away from the camera.
It's shows your not really engaged in your subject matter.
This is the most important thing.
If you use and equipment..tools,firearms,gear,apps,programs,sundials,acabus..
Make sure it's a current production model and link to where you purchased it.
List.
Make sure you list everything.
Tell everyone your in idaho..change your name and film with palmettos in the back ground so you get 1k emails a week asking what part of Idaho your from 

I think if you do all of those you'll have millions of views.

Good luck buddy.

Voted for 2 weeks ...so good video can be produced with the advise given lol 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll watch..but make sure your camera is on a secure tripod...that you have a good microphone..but not to good mind you..if it p8cks up a rooster crowing 100 yards away or a plane going over it really detracts from the quality of it. Record in stereo if doing a "vlog" type movie. 
Don't use the words-
Um
Huh
Yeah
Uhuh
Hmm
Smack your lips..twirl your hair or look away from the camera.
It's shows your not really engaged in your subject matter.
This is the most important thing.
If you use and equipment..tools,firearms,gear,apps,programs,sundials,acabus..
Make sure it's a current production model and link to where you purchased it.
List.
Make sure you list everything.
Tell everyone your in idaho..change your name and film with palmettos in the back ground so you get 1k emails a week asking what part of Idaho your from 

I think if you do all of those you'll have millions of views.

Good luck buddy.

Voted for 2 weeks ...so good video can be produced with the advise given lol 
View Quote
Oh, so now you want QUALITY videos? 

Sheesh, tough crowd 

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#23]
So I've spent a few days playing with this video editing thing. I'm sure those skills will improve with time. 

Though I'm using a "cheap" HD camera, I opted to get a mic for a separate audio recorder to get away from the camera mic for dramatically improved audio. Been watching some how to's and don't do's vids about making decent films in general. Basically learning how to keep momentum in the film and such.

Luckily I'm fairly well spoken, at least normally. However, I'll say I'm generally not comfortable in front of the camera, so that is something to overcome. My business means talking with clients all day, so I feel those years of experience should assist with the camera jitters. 

I actually finished the video intro I will be using. It's not on YouTube yet so I can link it here, but I will work on that tomorrow.

I'm a bit stuck in content for the first vid. I'm feeling it should be fairly short, an introduction of sorts. I see the first video being linked to in the following videos so new viewers can get an idea of what is going on. Would love input in that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey rat.
Seriously..hope that external Mic is multi directional aka records in stereo.etc.
That was a serious point ..while I post was joking ..but from my experience.

Examples...

https://youtu.be/R69bTSuYK7E

https://youtu.be/g4qspyqhMQQ

Sorry can't in bed..cuz I'm poor.

The water vid got me a ton of emails. because it's in mono. Played fine on tablets or phones but not through a set of dual speakers. Lol.
The second one linked iirc I used a typical Mic like you'd use on stage..attached to a Sony digital recorder. So lots of back ground noise is cancelled out. The recorder itself was to sensitive and would pic up every noise. Even breathing from 3 ft away. 

And as KIS said...practice.
That second link...I must have said " you know" 650 times. Lol .
But it was an off the head recording. Plus I'm not  a speaker per say...lol

Anyway....just expanding on it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Its an omnidirectional mic, not sure if my recorder is recording that way though. I guarantee its better than the mic in the camera .
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#27]
EDIT: 

Intro deleted, see OP post below.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice intro.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Nicely done intro.  Not too long so you lose interest before the show actually begins. Just right.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice intro!  Kinda reminds me of this old house.  Looking forward to more!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
TAG
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#32]
After considering, for a long time, about the direction we are taking this, we have decided to keep the kids out of it for security reasons. Basically, they will not be on camera. Its mostly due to some things that started happening with my batshit crazy estranged mother-in-law yesterday (even if I gave you the 6 hour lecture, you would not believe me). So, the into will have to be changed up a bit, and the boys will NOT be on camera. 

Just me and occasionally the wife, she hates even her picture taken 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#34]
New intro done:

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Rat Patrol that's AWESOME!

That makes me SO want to tune into your adventures.

I saw your update about teh crazy.  Are the pics of the kids gonna stay when their faces don't show?  You could do that with video too, although I understand that even that adds a whole nother layer of concern as far as security.  

My husband has recently had a scary stalker (older lady...not someone he can threaten and make go away) and if we had kids I would be a little freaked out and go into helicopter parent mode for certain. So I get the need for taking care.
View Quote
The boys may make an appearance here and there, sans faces showing. Not going into details, but there have been kidnapping threats made by a certain somebody. Hard to find the boys if that person doesn't know what they look like!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks good man....

Good luck.and stay safe
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Video 1 I guess? 

I am currently thinking of grouping the videos into 2 groups, "shorts" and "episodes". The shorts will be just single topic vids, and obviously the "episodes" will probably be 30 minutes or more.

Anyway, here is my first honest attempt. Its a short.
Tractor Engine Overhaul Attempted Startup
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I enjoyed it, there's something wrong with your youtube link it won't redirect.  I did a copy and paste on google and got to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it, there's something wrong with your youtube link it won't redirect.  I did a copy and paste on google and got to it.
View Quote
Hmm, it plays for me embedded like it should?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hmm, it plays for me embedded like it should?
View Quote
Link and embed both work for me on my iPhone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It turned out to be a server issue on my part, sorry didn't mean to cry wolf. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Just gave Agrisupply some of my money...

Bought supplies to make a 3 point disc harrow for the 316, and a landscape rake as well.

Plus, I have to get a pig shelter up and going, as I have piglets coming supposedly NEXT WEEKEND, and I have nothing ready yet .

Meat chicks arrive in about 3-4 weeks, so they will be taking up room in my office.

Looks like I have plenty of subject matter to use so far.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just gave Agrisupply some of my money...

Bought supplies to make a 3 point disc harrow for the 316, and a landscape rake as well.

Plus, I have to get a pig shelter up and going, as I have piglets coming supposedly NEXT WEEKEND, and I have nothing ready yet .

Meat chicks arrive in about 3-4 weeks, so they will be taking up room in my office.

Looks like I have plenty of subject matter to use so far.
View Quote
Looking forward to seeing more 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Good job.
Your sexier than I figured you to be.....

Keep them coming man.great job.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good job.
Your sexier than I figured you to be.....

Keep them coming man.great job.
View Quote

Lets not get weird!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I like it.  Great work.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Really good material there if you have any time to record it, or make threads about it.

Understand if you don't.  Jeez...it's a busy time of year and you've got a lot going.

Love seeing the progress though.
View Quote
I'm going to try. 

Today is a big farm auction. There are a few items I am highly interested in that would make life around here a lot easier. Just hope they go for a reasonable price!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I just found this thread, so I am one of the people that doesn't know.  I grew up on a farm doing pretty much what you are wanting to do.  We had dairy cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, crops for the animals, orchard, garden...etc.  That type of living is still ingrained with me as I like working the ground, doing things with my hands, creating things...etc.  But my question would by "why"?  Why choose to live 100% in that life style?  Granted our farm was a lot bigger 320 acres, 40 milking cows, another 40 heifers, moved 2,000 pigs through a year...etc. so a lot more time consuming work but still the farm dictates when you do things no matter if you have 1 milking cow or 40.

You mention "simple living" but it is so much work just to exist.  My dad, 78, still does it to some extent and I can see how it has wore him down.  I think back to my life growing up and vacations were usually 2 days maybe 3 days long at a max because someone still had to take care of all the animals.  Other than Sunday afternoons fishing a local farm pond my dad was pretty much too busy working the farm to have any involvement in my life outside of farm work.  So while it might have been "simple" it in no way was easy.  

The idea of having a place off the grid appeals to me but not a place where my entire life is dedicated to keeping things running.  Can you summarize how you got to this point, why you decided to go this route, how much time it takes, and where you see it going?  Just trying to get the context of what you are doing.

As for the videos, if they are entertaining or informative then post every week.  A 7 to 15 minute video is standard from what I've seen.  If you go that route try to interact with the camera as if it was a person, that way we feel more involved versus just watching you do your own thing.  I spent countless hours watching my dad work on machines so the mower video wasn't that appealing to me as most of it was just watching you work.  The captions with what was going on were good though.  That whole segment could have been cut down to a minute to a minute and half though, included the info, and told the story about struggle to get the mower started.  The story is what attracts viewers and it should be concise to keep the attention.  You could put up captions like "15 Minutes Later" so we understand the time frame.  A minute and a half video with three different "15 minute later" caption blocks and transitions tells the same story as 5 minutes of of you cranking the starter over.  BTW, you went way to long on that starter.  They over heat quick and you will burn it out/wear it out quicker by cranking on it that long.   

Good luck.  If you have any farming questions feel free to ask. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top