Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2016 6:38:43 AM EDT
So we ordered a bunch of chicks Jan 1st. Sold the ones we didn't want and kept 8 of them of future egg layers. I built a coop in my garage for the winter then will move outside when weather gets nice. Anyway  one of my birds seams to be more aggressive then the rest and I'm not sure how to tell if it's a rooster or not. The book I have shows some differences but only as full adults.
The breeds I'm told I have are isa Browns and Madison chicks.  The aggressive one named crooked toe because he was born with crooked toes :) is actually white and black so I don't know if he got thrown in the mix or what?
Thanks for your time
Maybe after work I'll get some pics
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Isa Brown cockerels are usually white.

I'm not familiar with Madison chicks, the only reference I could find was on BYC.

The fourth post has a link which gives some information on them.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1030835/madison-breed-info  

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a pic that shows the two types birds and the one white n black one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless they are sex-link where you can tell right after they hatch, sometimes you just have to wait.

I've been raising chickens for over 10 years, not including childhood. Not saying I am an expert, but sometimes you just have to wait. This batch of my home crossed freedom ranger/barred rock surprised me because of how long (or how delayed) they were at demonstrating rooster tendencies. They still don't have spurs or large wattle and comb.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but my wife and I purchased 5 hens as chicks, and we ended up with 4 hens and a rooster.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It will go err a errrr a   errrrrrrrrr at ohh sun rise 30

And get real pissy at times
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
my grand father used to tell me to shake em and see if they rattle
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a partridge feathered cochin rooster cross with my splash blue bantam.   I got a little black bird with penciled feathers.  It was raised in the bushes by its banty mom.  It was on the wild side and mostly skittish around me.  It was a bit of a peckerhead.   I was convinced it was a cockbird and it went weeks beyond where a hen would have started laying.  I was nearly sure of it until I had twice gotten 3 bantam sized eggs in a day.   The first time I wasn't so sure and wondered if I missed one as the bantams like to leave their eggs all over.  Sure enough a few days later they all layed on the same day again.  

When they start mounting the hens is a pretty good sign.   Until then I'm not always sure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
He's the only cock out there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top