Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
Anyone installed one of these, either the condo or gourd style?  My neighbor about 300 yards away has a Martin house and when I mow they come over and get the bugs disturbed by the trusty John Deere 420.  Guess I'm wondering if I'd be lucky to get my own batch of them established before we build and are in the area full time.  

I'd imagine 2 dozen birds eat a lot of bugs everyday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all it is a hotel.

You will learn why very quickly.

They require a maid to keep it clean or else they will not come back
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
We had one of those mansion style ones complete with chimneys on the sides growing up.  The usual pivot point about 4' up on the post.  I think it was too buried in the spruce trees that came up around it,  I can't remember if there was ever anything but sparrows in there.  Just one of those projects I thought I'd get done now to get the birds established.  We have tree and cliff swallows around as well, but the Purple Martins really seem to clean house even when I mow.  

I like the idea of the gourd style.  Thanks for the tips.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the barn style 10 foot off the ground, It sits close to my pound , a water source, nearest tree is a good 50' away, they don't like trees close and
I have a big open space for them. Stay away from the metal houses.  I do clean mine out the beginning of January.

Another visitor I now have is a pair of barn swallows staying under my carport. They made a nest on top of my light motion detector.
I let them stay even with the mess they make with their droppings on the concrete.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top