Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2015 7:28:26 PM EDT
We finally got some ducks! I haven't managed to get their area fixed up as well as I'd like, but it was a great deal on year old proven layers which are uncommon to find. I am a bit worried about predators until I can get that completed. We picked them up yesterday and there were three eggs already today. One Ancona and three Khaki Campbells. They're still settling in and are kind of nervous about the humans. I just want to complete their enclosure and start some grain sprouting so I can transition them from layer feed.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have ducks, they are a lot of fun.  the eggs can be really terrific, and work really well in baking because they set up nicely.  I also found that ducks tend to be more nervous around people than chickens are.  

we would let our ducks free range in our yard, and they really enjoyed eating grass, weeds, bugs etc.  strangest thing that ever happened:  one day, just as I was getting out of my truck I heard a high pitched squealing.  I looked and saw one of our Pekin females with a live mouse in her bill.  The other ducks where trying to grab it from her, so in one quick toss of her head and a gulp, she swallowed it whole! I had no idea ducks would eat a mouse, and from the way she ate it like a pro, it clearly wasn't her first!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I bucket sprout whole grains and then lacto ferment , its super easy. I also feed mine rabbit pellet from Conway Feed, 21% protein for about $13 for 50#

they need a sacrifice area around their pool
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bucket sprout whole grains and then lacto ferment , its super easy. I also feed mine rabbit pellet from Conway Feed, 21% protein for about $13 for 50#

they need a sacrifice area around their pool
View Quote

I've been reading up on sprouting, have you seen this thread? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/680826_.html

Never thought of doing rabbit pellets, the people we got them from used layer pellets so I bought a bag of those to minimize their dietary change. So far they've been foraging like crazy and not eating that much of the pellets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Another day, another three eggs. I'm assuming the Campbells are putting them out and the Ancona is lagging. Less prolific layers anyway and it seems more nervous about being here than the others. I'm gradually getting to know them and be accepted by them but they're still settling in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen that thread. It looks good. My rabbits liked it fully sprouted in a mat like that but my birds didn't   they love the partially sprouted and fermented grains though   they dot waste a grain.

your Cambells should be 350 egg a year ducks. as long as they have all their nutritional needs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]
what part of the State are you in ? I'm in Mukilteo
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what part of the State are you in ? I'm in Mukilteo
View Quote

Huh, for some reason I thought you were on an island or the peninsula. I'm in unincorporated Snohoco, by the Bothell / Mill Creek line. Mukilteo is just up the road a bit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
well we should say hi sometime then
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That'd be great, I'd love to buy you a beer and pick your brain about all this stuff.

Ducks are settling in more every day, and the dog is getting used to them. She still wants to run over and sniff them which freaks them out, but she's getting less frantic at running towards them. Ducks are still unnerved when we walk towards them which is a bummer, but I give them food every time I go out so hopefully that'll wear them down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed our ducks more than the chickens, they were more interesting to watch.  We always had a plastic pool full of water for them and we would occasionally flood a small area of a field and they would have a hey day driving their bills into the mud.  

I grew up in the Mill Creek/Silver Lake area - great place.  My parents are still there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
First priority is strengthening their sleeping area. After that I want to construct one of these. They say 4" for adult chickens, I wonder if I would need to goto a 6" for ducks? http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/livestock/poultry/build-your-own-poultry-feeders/index.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That'd be great, I'd love to buy you a beer and pick your brain about all this stuff.

Ducks are settling in more every day, and the dog is getting used to them. She still wants to run over and sniff them which freaks them out, but she's getting less frantic at running towards them. Ducks are still unnerved when we walk towards them which is a bummer, but I give them food every time I go out so hopefully that'll wear them down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM me, I'm very open during the week, busy weekends, come over most any time and I'll show you what little I know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Been an interesting couple of weeks since we got the ducks. At first we thought they were very inconsistent with laying, 3 some days none some days. But it looks like they have been laying in some hidden/out of the way spots and we've missed some. I think we will average out to 2-3 per day from these four hens.

A large tree went down and took out 30+ feet of fence. The root ball is still partially anchored and laying on the fence line so I can't repair it until I get that moved. Access is bad, the deck prevents large equipment from entering the back yard side and there's a huge blackberry thicket on the green belt side. In the mean time I have what's left of the panels propped up loose to kind of block access. Ducks have not tried to get out yet, but I plan to string some chicken wire across the gaps just in case.

They've been getting more and more friendly, although they still quack and waddle off when I do the food and water. The dog is still curious but no longer tries to dart off to inspect them, and the ducks keep an eye on her but don't freak out.

This weekend I'll be getting two more Ancona hens and one drake. We'll have three campbells and three Ancona females. I'm hoping to sell the fertile Ancona eggs, and hopefully the hybrids will be a "best of both worlds" mix of the breeds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top