Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 3:28:23 PM EDT
Title says it all. My fiancée and I are new to both and want to educate ourselves before diving in this spring.

I have attempted to raise chickens in the past, and learned a lot (the hard way) about how secure their area needs to be in a rural setting. Haven't approached the hobby again since then.

We both know a little about beekeeping from talking to locals and reading a bit online. And that's one area where it is easy to network and learn. But we would like a beginner-level book to read as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Join a bee club or see if your cooperative extension offers classes.
My wife and I signed up for a local class for beekeeping. It is at the local high school.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Subscribe to The American Bee Journal magazine. Great stuff. Randy Oliver's website has massive amounts of great information (linked is The First year). He writes for the ABJ and published his articles on his web page as well. Then jump on Amazon. In the link, there are a few books recommended for the new beekeeper.

Learn to treat pests and disease. Keep them dry. Keep them fed as needed. Then let the bees do what they do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a great reference book to keep on hand. It covers a lot of things that can't be found easily online.

While not a book, backyardchickens.com is probably one of the best reference materials you're going to find. Very knowledgeable and friendly people and the forums have a very decent search function.

My wife and I are going to start raising bees this spring and have enrolled in the local classes. We get paired up with a mentor, learn what works best for our area and a whole lot of other stuff. I'm holding off picking up any reading materials until we talk to the pros.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top