Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 10:38:10 AM EDT
It will be used to as primary heat to the house above.  I have a separate blower/duct that moves the warm to where I want it.  Concrete floor, existing 3-story chimney.  I have a good source of good wood, for little or no money, for the foreseeable future.

Wife and I work, so what I've done with the existing stove is load it full in the morning and it burns ok til one of us gets home.  We load it partially then, and then a full load again at night when we retire for the evening.  More-often loading would be a problem for us, obviously.

Any brand/model suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Englander.  Good American made stoves.  Not super pretty but functional and well made.  Great customer service too.  

You'll likely want the NC-30 but depends on how much space you are trying to heat.

In my area, Home Depot has the best price on Englander stoves.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you wait until late February-March you should be able to get an Englander on sale from Home Depot.  That is my hope as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever thought of going coal?

My friend who passsed in 2010 built himself house in 2005 with an approx. 35x35 garage with 20' cielings, he found a coal stove on clist and installed it himself. Any more than half throttle and it would cook us out of the garage. It was a beautiful garage. We installed a 2 post 7k lb lift, the works. Then he passed from lung cancer from agent orange in the nams in 2010.

Anyway, my house isnt condusive for a wood stove, split level with fireplace in den. I installed a jotul insert and am happy. But if and when i ever sell and move to a house with basement, i would only go coal. The heat that comes out of a coal stove of similar size to wood, puts wood stoves to shame. And a fully loaded coal stove EASILY can run 12 hours before requiring a refill.

The first time i ever saw coal burn in my life was 2006 when i was 29 y/o. I have never been so impressed with the heat output before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top