Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 10:17:52 AM EDT
Hi guys I want to plant some garlic and I know it's about that time. I have been reading about it and all the types confuse me. So what's a good one to plant and where do I order it from? Thank you
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Soft neck available here:

http://www.greenmountaingarlic.com/shop/garlic/

I've ordered from them in the past and they've always been good to me.  Maybe just start with one variety and remember to order earlier next year?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
In southern Iowa I plant a mix of hard and soft necks.  Last years winter was tough and I still had a bumper crop of soft neck.  Planted Extra Select, Early Italian, German Red, Kettle River Giant, Inchelium Red and Elephant Garlic.  I planted them on November 11th and the 18th last year.  They all came up and very few froze off last winter.  Three previous years I planted in early November.

I would recommend the Extra Select from Burpee.  They got a 1/2 pound on sale for $12.76 right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the extra select coming from burpee. Going to try it and see how it goes. I have a raised bed for it need to mix a little compost in and should be ready. Do you guys mulch the bed after planting? If so with what and how thick? Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the extra select coming from burpee. Going to try it and see how it goes. I have a raised bed for it need to mix a little compost in and should be ready. Do you guys mulch the bed after planting? If so with what and how thick? Thanks for the help guys
View Quote

Mulching helps prevent the ground from freezing too early as you do want some root growth prior to the ground freezing.  This helps keep the bulbs from moving.  This is especially important in more northern climates where the ground can freeze earlier.  I usually put about 6" of straw down on the bed.  It eventually gets flattened by the winter snow and then in the spring it helps keep the weeds down.  But, as pointed out by people in my garlic thread on this first page, the straw itself can be "seedy" and you can end up with a lot of weeds from that.  Just be careful to pick any weeds that come up as garlic doesn't do well with competition.  Also, you need to plan it right:  You want to plant it early enough so roots form, but not so early that the stem emerges.  The stem, depending on your weather, will usually die and then start again in the spring, but you don't want that as it takes some of the stored food from the bulb for the following spring.

Good luck and if you get some pictures, please post them here or in the other garlic thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/674016_Let_s_see_your_garlic_patches__Update__09_25_2014__Anyone_planting_yet_.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top