Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2014 11:42:46 AM EDT
I have a small backyard garden.  I've dug up the old veggies from the summer except for the blueberry and strawberry bush.  Is there anything I need to do to it now to make sure I get a good start this Spring?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm preferential to always putting in soil amendments at the end of the season and letting the worms do their business.  My preferred amendment is composted shredded leaves.  Sometimes I put in non composted shredded leaves to add a bit more structure to the soil (it's clay based here).

You didn't indicate your soil type/structure, but you can never have enough compost in your soil.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Soil test from your local ag agency, subsequent to that add recommended amounts of stuff. If you can till without making a mess do like above and add a bunch of mulch things like leaves. Do even touch it if it is wet, you can ruin it for spring....... Do your garden layout and plan your seed/plant purchases.

Won't be long till it's time to get back at it, thank goodness.......
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Add compost, manure and whatever. Dig it in a few inches. Mulch with leaves or straw. Work on building a good compost supply over the winter. Build any trellises you may use this coming season. Get some concrete reinforcing wire and build some tomato cages that will last for years. Build a small cold frame from some old windows and some lumber. Biggest thing is dig in soil amendments to the soil.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Plant garlic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Time to spread manure. Give it a couple of months to break down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch it freeze soild?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
i went and tilled up last years garden, next weekend if i have time im planning on adding on, about double the gardening space.

gotta measure and plan it all out, tear down my exsisting fence, or atleast the gate and build a new fence around  where i am expanding to.

probably going to dig the whole for some new trees as well, want to add avacado, apricot and an orange.  

im redoing all my drainage/drip systems and adding a nice walk way so its easy to get to everything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Start your seeds early. Indoors or out. The wifey is making small mini greenhouses from milk jugs for our cold hardy veg/ornamentals. Allegedly they can be put out this time of year and even covered with snow (actually recommended by the writer) we shall see.

I'll still start seeds indoors but not for another month, it'll be mid April before we plant much of anything.

Start lining up/scrounging free compost. Add it to the frozen garden, you can work it later.

Do seasonal maintenance on garden tools if you havent....such as ensuring rust free shovels (they dig way easier) and inspecting tools for damage. Scan craigslist for spares....

Make some coffee and enjoy your seed catalogs while you plan the veg patch.

Do more homework on maximizing yield with whatever you have. Take advantage of the time to plan plan plan.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Plant spinach or lettuce
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top