Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 6:02:33 AM EDT
Ive got a 5 year old fig tree in my yard and  the past couple of years we got a handful of figs from the tree. Last fall I trimmed some of the limbs that were spreading over our drive and this year there were 0 figs on the tree.  Can someone tell me how to get my tree back to producing fruit?  Is there something I should be doing now to help fruit production in te summer?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not an expert on figs by any means. Even though you are in Georgia, last winter was so tough that it may have caused some of he flower buds to abort. is it in a protected location?
Describe your pruning. did you selectively remove branches, or did you prune every branch on the tree? You could have pruned off flower buds. My thinking s the fig you selected may not be hardy enough do you know the cultivar I can do a little research for you.. i have a customer that grows them in a greenhouse, and gets more than 5 figs per plant. They are grown in 5 gallon containers
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
my pruning was less than scientific. I basically cut  a few of the longest/tallest limbs in an effort to  "shape " the tree and make the growth more manageable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Figs are yummy!

I've never had one right off the tree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top