Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 7:07:44 AM EDT
I have about 2 dozen giant sunflower heads that got killed in the freeze last night.  I think they were about ready anyway.  Now what do I do to harvest the seeds?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut the heads off leaving a few inches (3-6) of stalk.
Hanging them to dry is best. You want them to dry out fairly quickly or they may rot on the backside. When they are dry enough that the seeds will pop out by rubbing your hand across the head, remove them by using your hand as a scrub brush.

A glove might help.

When I grew them, the heads started rotting on the backside after a week or so after I hung them in the garage. The heads were not "dried stiff" when I deseeded them. The heads were huge, the seeds were meh. The birds loved them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top