Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 4:40:08 AM EDT
Was given a bushel of tomatoes and salsa stash is low so I used the zesty salsa recipe from the ball blue book. It tastes great but is very runny! I've been boiling it down for about three hours at at steady summer but it is still thin. I will end up with more of a sauce than a chunky salsa, what's the trick?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a can or two of tomato paste and then boil the mixture down.  It ends up being pretty thick.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
This is to be pressure canned for later in the winter so not cooking isn't an option.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK.

You need to trim the tomatoes then.  Quarter the tomatoes, scoup/cut out the seed and the slimy inner pith leaving the outer meaty edges, then dice them up.  

Follow recipe from their.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is to be pressure canned for later in the winter so not cooking isn't an option.

OK.

You need to trim the tomatoes then.  Quarter the tomatoes, scoup/cut out the seed and the slimy inner pith leaving the outer meaty edges, then dice them up.  

Follow recipe from their.

the Paste as suggested and you'll also want reserve about 1/2 the tomatoes for the first 1/2 of the cooking time, you'll finish with more intact fruit
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Skin the tomatoes by dunking in boiling water for a minute, then slip the skin off over the sink.
Cut the tomatoes open and scoop out all the seeds.
Chop up the remaining fruit.

It will still be somewhat watery but you can mix everything together in a pot and heat, and drain off most of the liquid when you pack it into your jars.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Put it in the fridge overnight then pour off the liquid tomorrow morning.  

Yeah mine is thick

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Helps to use Roma tomatos.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a bunch of paste.....and squeeze the juice out by hand after you remove the skins.

Save the juice for other projects = profit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmmmm salsa.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I put them in a large colander to drain for a while as I cut them.
View Quote

This, in addition to dumping the inner part of the tomato.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top