Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 4:07:21 PM EDT
I live out in a very rural area here in MS and am contemplating buying a few chickens for our acre yard.  The problem is that I'm active duty military and PCS roughly every three years.  I was planning on buying around 3-4 chickens for eggs and for fertilizer/pest control.  For those of you that have them, should I even consider chickens?  Are they easy to sell/off-load when it comes time to move?  Or should I just wait until I'm permanently settled?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Butcher them and eat them a couple months before you pcs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Butcher them and eat them a couple months before you pcs.

I thought of that and brought it up to the wife.  Let's just say she was not keen on the idea and told me I could not have chickens at all if that was the final plan.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If your wife can't stomach the thought of eating chickens, then you definately shouldn't have them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Lemme get this straight...

3-4 Chickens.

Free Range.

Rural Mississippi.

And you want to know how easy it will be to get rid of them when you are not around?

That's a self-solving problem.  You leave it up to the possums, raccoons and owls.  They will appreciate your generosity.

TRG

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A laying hen sells for $8-15 per bird on CL. Get what you want and sell a month before you're off. A free to good home would go quick if you needed to unload them quick. People are always looking for good chickens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top