Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2013 11:35:06 AM EDT
I hope this is the proper forum for this.

Im going to be fencing my 11 acres and I am stumped on where to put the fence.

I have had my land surveyed and I know where all of the corners are. The questions im dealing with are:

Do I put the fence on the property line or set it off 4 ft or so?

The plus side of putting it on the line is the extra room. The down side of putting it on the property line is im at the mercy of my neighbor to keep up their side of the fence.

If I off set the fence I can get on the other side and mow down the fence to keep out the small trees and vines from growing up in it.

My neighbor is a real A-Hole and I would prefer to keep communications with him to a minimum.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it on the line and spray.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Set your fence just inside the line(inches not feet).  Most neighbors will pay for half, some won't.  I have seen fencing four or five feet apart and no one keeps the middle area clear due to disagreements in the past.  Tell your neighbor what you are going to do and ask if he'll pay half.  If he says no, start building.  He can say nothing if it is inside your property.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
On the property line.

Any property you don't fence in will eventually become you neighbors land.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On the property line.

Im not how this can be if they don't put a fence on it. If he does put a fence on it ill make him take it down. The corner boundaries are clearly marked.

Im going to put it on the line as you and others have suggested.

Thank you all for the help.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Set your fence just inside the line(inches not feet).  Most neighbors will pay for half, some won't.  I have seen fencing four or five feet apart and no one keeps the middle area clear due to disagreements in the past.  Tell your neighbor what you are going to do and ask if he'll pay half.  If he says no, start building.  He can say nothing if it is inside your property.

Im not willing to do any business with or communicate with him if its not absolutely necessary.

I have all the fencing materials bought and paid for. Its on site. It took me a few years to save up for the fencing materials but I have it now.

I have to install 2 sets of 16ft gates due to his ingress and egress easement. I will have to get him a key to the lock, when I close the gates. That's the only time I plan to communicate with him.

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put it on the line and spray.

This is the plan im going with. Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not willing to do any business with or communicate with him if its not absolutely necessary.

I have all the fencing materials bought and paid for. Its on site. It took me a few years to save up for the fencing materials but I have it now.

I have to install 2 sets of 16ft gates due to his ingress and egress easement. I will have to get him a key to the lock, when I close the gates. That's the only time I plan to communicate with him.

Thanks for the help!

What we do when there is more than one person using the gate is put 2 locks on it. Lock the locks into each other and keep one set of keys for your lock and give him the keys to his. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help!

What we do when there is more than one person using the gate is put 2 locks on it. Lock the locks into each other and keep one set of keys for your lock and give him the keys to his. YMMV

That's great advice! Thanks

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On the property line.

This.

And spray the fence line for weeds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help!

Get two IDENTICAL locks.  Don't tell him that they are identical.

If he's a dick, he will invariably lock directly to the chain, just to screw with you. If the locks are identical, you can simply unlock either one, lock it back, and he will never be the wiser that his little lock-game was over before it ever got played.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help!

If he's a dick, he will invariably lock directly to the chain, just to screw with you. If the locks are identical, you can simply unlock either one, lock it back, and he will never be the wiser that his little lock-game was over before it ever got played.

TRG

Nice!!

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help!

TRG

I was that "dick" when it came to that game. Our old gate had like 5 locks all daisy chained together (meter reader, canal rider, etc.), and when one of those turds let an oil surveyor's lock in the mix, I bypassed it. Fuckers ended up cutting my lock off and letting themselves in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Why not use two diffrent locks, so HE cannot open your lock.   you never know when you might want to lock him out and need your own lock.

Then just keep a key for his lock?

You are the one handing out keys, no need to give them all away.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
What kind of fence?

If you build it right on the line, is maintenance going to be a problem?  (Assuming you wouldn't be allowed to go on his property to fix the other side of the fence.)

I don't expect a chainlink or wire fence would be a problem, but wooden panel fences can be a pain to work on if you can't access the other side.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Some places require offsets from the property line.  It might be worth checking into that.  It is like the laws some places have that require you have the finished side of a picket fence facing the neighbor.  Fences for agricultural purposes might be exempt or governed by other laws.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some places require offsets from the property line.  It might be worth checking into that.  It is like the laws some places have that require you have the finished side of a picket fence facing the neighbor.  Fences for agricultural purposes might be exempt or governed by other laws.

That is what the law is here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not use two diffrent locks, so HE cannot open your lock.   you never know when you might want to lock him out and need your own lock.

Then just keep a key for his lock?

You are the one handing out keys, no need to give them all away.

Really the only reason to have the gate locked (the gate leading to his property) is so no one can access our property from another entrance leading to his property. We have recently had people come by our house (1/4 mile + from the main road) that are neither his bunch or anyone we know. the only traffic through here should only be his people. Both of our land is landlocked, his is the farthest from the highway. Although there is another small rut road that leads to the back side of his property from another dirt road

I ran off some young kids (16yr or 17yr olds) twice already. Im thinking its just a matter of time before someone comes in behind our house and robs it while we are gone. The locked gate would help out with that.

My two concerns are security and utilizing all of my property for live stock.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of fence?

If you build it right on the line, is maintenance going to be a problem?  (Assuming you wouldn't be allowed to go on his property to fix the other side of the fence.)

I don't expect a chainlink or wire fence would be a problem, but wooden panel fences can be a pain to work on if you can't access the other side.

Its a field fence. I actually started it already. I have 3 posts up 2 corner and one gate post.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This whole area is all zoned for Agriculture use. As far as I know there are no laws that you speak of. I have spoken to a real estate attorney unofficially about this 2 times. He suggested putting it on the line, and told me of the a few cases that neighbors allowed a fence to remain in place for too long and the property became someone elses.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top