Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 2:50:01 AM EDT
few questions..now that im trying my hand at being the ultimate super homesteading survivalist

with our garden and  being folks that will try anything we did some different things.

i planted a bunch of stuff as an experiment to see what would grow. We took anything that was growing on its own aka old onions,garlic etc and planted them.Plus we have a farmers market contact that gives me freebies to see what i can grow as well LOL

fast forward 6-12 weeks.

my main question is. with stuff planted like that when  can you harvest them or seed them.

ill list what we have.

garlic. These were cloves t hat started to sprout. so i planted them. we now have some that have stems /leaves that are 12-++ inches long. Now, do i dig up the bulbs or what can i eat from these. the leaves/stems are very "garlic" in smell and taste..i taste everything it seems LOL

beets-cut in half. they started to grow. i have beet greens that are 10-12 inches high. out of 8 halves, 2 are still in the dirt and havent grown, are still rock hard ..i think beets never rot LOL. BUT can you eat the greens, do you just let it grow???

trunips- these are a waste they grew then died once the turnip half rotted.

broccoli- we planted the stalks of used broccoli they have all grown leaves and stems with flowers. will these eventually grow the veggie part. Can we eat the greens.

ginger- its a root, but we planted some that was budding out. it has grown 3-4 inches now. since its a root i guess just un root it when we harvest it right??

on a normal note. we planted radishes. they are doing well but some are red stalked and large 10++ inches in leaf length. i heard that they wont bulb unless its super cold and well,it aint super cold. i pulled up 1-2 ofthe largest ones ( 12+ inch leafs) and nothing down below.can we eat the greens if they dont. i have a ton of them plsanted

my main thing is to figure out what parts we can consume and what needs to be tilled under when i expand the garden in a few weeks.

fwiw im working with 2 6x8ft plots and will expanding them to both to 16x6 .

and yes im a newb to this garden deal, and the wife unit and i like to try different things which is why im even having to ask t hese questions LOL. thanks for any hints/tips guys/gals.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

beets-cut in half. they started to grow. i have beet greens that are 10-12 inches high. out of 8 halves, 2 are still in the dirt and havent grown, are still rock hard ..i think beets never rot LOL. BUT can you eat the greens, do you just let it grow???

Yes, the greens are edible.  They can be used fresh in salads, or fried in bacon grease.  The stems can be pickled, but, I just munch them.  I grow beets, but, mostly for the greens

trunips- these are a waste they grew then died once the turnip half rotted.

Greens are edible, of course.

on a normal note. we planted radishes. they are doing well but some are red stalked and large 10++ inches in leaf length. i heard that they wont bulb unless its super cold and well,it aint super cold. i pulled up 1-2 ofthe largest ones ( 12+ inch leafs) and nothing down below.can we eat the greens if they dont. i have a ton of them plsanted

If you let them grow long enough, they will go to seed and resprout from the seeds.  I have 10-20 volunteer radish plants in my garden right now.

Check the Florida ag department's website for zone information about what you can plant/grow this time of year.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Broc greens are good. You can cook them like turnip greens or like a wilted lettuce salad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]
i jumped the gun i was diggng around and  found a few radishes going , thanks for the help guys.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Check the Florida ag department's website for zone information about what you can plant/grow this time of year.

TRG

I think this is their doc index:  http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/A-Z_index.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top