Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2012 5:27:06 PM EDT
I bought two about 8 ft tall honeycrisp apple trees today. Any advice on planting, pruning, how to get the most apples, etc? I live in East Tennessee, I think this is a little south for these apples but they are my familys favorite. Thank you in advance for any ideas!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a pollinator near where you will plant them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have deer near you you will need to fence them.  Otherwise plant them, chop them way back so the roots grow, water lots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I just read on gurneys that these are some unknown parentage hybrid trees. I need to get a pollinator, would a Red Delicious work?
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just read on gurneys that these are some unknown parentage hybrid trees. I need to get a pollinator, would a Red Delicious work?

According to this website it will:  http://www.orangepippintrees.com/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1123

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link C-C
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Were they sourced locally or online?  Any idea what wootstock they're on?

I've been looking for a couple of years for a HoneyCrisp on EMLA-111, but can't find them anywhere...

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea, I bought them at Home Depot. I'll see if anything is written on them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Bought two honey crisp tree this year myself to. I have a golden delicious and a wolf river apple for cross polinators. Prune them in feb. while they are dormant.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a Red Spy as a pollinator for my Honeycrisp.  Keep in mind that the pollinator should blosom at the same time as the Honeycrisp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top