Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2012 5:39:25 PM EDT
UPDATE...
Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the info that kept me sane.

We had our first meal with the okra from our garden lastnight.
Enough for the wife and I, the 2 kids, plus our neighbors(with leftovers we ate tonight) so we've had a good haul so far from the 10 plants we have. Been cutting 6-10 a day and freezing them til we had enough for a meal.

Sorry no dinner pictures, completely forgot. It's still going strong, so maybe next time.

Thanks to all that helped with info when I asked!

I planted everything about a month ago, and aside from the okra, everything is right where it should be.

My squash, cucs, zucs, beans, tomatoes, etc are all nice and big, even have a few small zucchini growing.

Now, this is my first year growing okra. All the plants look hearty, but they are much smaller than the other veggie plants are. I think my tallest one is maybe 7 inches high or so.
Is this about where okra should be at this point, or do I need to think about a quick replant?

Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Possible fix. could need a little fertilizer, and most possible ...cool temps....the hotter it gets...the faster it grows,and more they produce. I put mine in yesterday and I will report back in a month to let ya know how tall they are here. Just for the heck of it.  It's been down rite Hot here so I am expecting 2 foot maybe 3 ft. plants in a month from now.

where I got the cool temp possibility from
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Possible fix. could need a little fertilizer, and most possible ...cool temps....the hotter it gets...the faster it grows,and more they produce. I put mine in yesterday and I will report back in a month to let ya know how tall they are here. Just for the heck of it.  It's been down rite Hot here so I am expecting 2 foot maybe 3 ft. plants in a month from now.

where I got the cool temp possibility from

Everything has been fertilized, but the cool temps could be a problem since okra does like the heat. We had some cooler than normal spells in April, but it's been warmer the past week or so. Did cool back off today though. I just thought it was odd that everything else is where I expected it to be size wise, but the okra isn't yet.
I may make another bed area this weekend and plant some more in a different part of the yard and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
okra is a hot weather plant, give it another month and it will take off.

I am in the lowcountry and mine is still small but they will get bigger....
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
okra is a hot weather plant, give it another month and it will take off.

I am in the lowcountry and mine is still small but they will get bigger....

I planted 6" sprouts and seed at the same time here in E. Texas.

Hard to see any difference between the plants now.

They are all only 8" tall.

2" growth in two months.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks guys!!
Like I said, the first time I've grown it, knew what to expect from my other stuff, and just figured, hell the okra should be close to what they are by now.
Good to know, and makes sense with the cool snaps we had here in April.

Still think I'm gonna make a raised bed this weekend and plant some more, mainly because I think my 2 boys would eat okra at every meal if we let them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top