Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2011 2:56:59 PM EDT
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That`s all I have to say.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are the bee's knees and the cat's meow of gardening!

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda figured you must live in points-south.....my tiller is just gathering dust right now.

I used mine to turn everything under about three weeks ago.  I am wishing now that I had not.  Got an erosion problem with no winter crop to stop it.

But, I agree with the sentiment, the PTO tiller is the coolest piece of equipment I bought this year.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
PTO tillers can be hard on the tractor.  One of my brother's works on tractors and he told me that tractors with PTO problems often are caused by tillers.  I think it's because many people use them to break unplowed ground.  You should use a plow to break up fresh ground and then the tiller to turn the soil to fine soil.  If you use it as it is intended to be used, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda figured you must live in points-south.....my tiller is just gathering dust right now.

I used mine to turn everything under about three weeks ago.  I am wishing now that I had not.  Got an erosion problem with no winter crop to stop it.

But, I agree with the sentiment, the PTO tiller is the coolest piece of equipment I bought this year.

TRG
Can't you plant some vetch or rye or something?  I remember sitting outside a bar in Texas in December in shorts.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PTO tillers can be hard on the tractor.  One of my brother's works on tractors and he told me that tractors with PTO problems often are caused by tillers.  I think it's because many people use them to break unplowed ground.  You should use a plow to break up fresh ground and then the tiller to turn the soil to fine soil.  If you use it as it is intended to be used, it shouldn't cause any problems.

??????

I use mine commercially and the only calls I ever get are for breaking sod/virgin ground (roots and rocks too).  Mine has a tiny shear bolt–– 5/16" and I've only broken 1.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

??????

I use mine commercially and the only calls I ever get are for breaking sod/virgin ground (roots and rocks too).  Mine has a tiny shear bolt–– 5/16" and I've only broken 1.  

It may be the type of soil you are breaking.  In my area, soil is loaded with rocks and very hard with a good amount of clay.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sure it is a bit hard on the tractor...heck everything you do causes some wear and tear.  I used to have one with shear pins, but after about 25 pins sheared, when I stepped up to a 30 horse tractor, I got a 6' tiller with a clutch on it.  It will slip, but no pins to shear.  Use your tractor to break up the garden in the spring, but I still like a hand tiller to work in close to the rows.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG
Can't you plant some vetch or rye or something?  I remember sitting outside a bar in Texas in December in shorts.

Probably.

But, now the problem is soil saturation.  I'll sink my tractor and do more harm than good.  They are predicting two weeks of 'severe clear' around here, so I might be able to get some rye started with a hand thrower.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Love my PTO drive tiller, but as others have said breaking ground with one IS hard on the machine, you can feel it strain, so rather than work a 1500.00 implement to death i just rip up the sod with a Middle buster and then go back and till up...ymmv and all that
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love my PTO drive tiller, but as others have said breaking ground with one IS hard on the machine, you can feel it strain, so rather than work a 1500.00 implement to death i just rip up the sod with a Middle buster and then go back and till up...ymmv and all that

I bought, and learned to use (mostly) a 3 bottom plow.  I have been told that every 2-3 years I will need to plow again to keep from forming a hard bottom in the fields.

For those who are using the PTO tiller, a word of caution...I learned, the hard way, that a damaged gear in the PTO, from neglect, low fluids, or abuse can be a 1500-2500.00 repair, or more.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I bought, and learned to use (mostly) a 3 bottom plow.  I have been told that every 2-3 years I will need to plow again to keep from forming a hard bottom in the fields.

For those who are using the PTO tiller, a word of caution...I learned, the hard way, that a damaged gear in the PTO, from neglect, low fluids, or abuse can be a 1500-2500.00 repair, or more.

TRG

Plowing or tilling can leave the hard bottom.  Plowing after tilling will take care of the hard bottom from the tiller but then the plow will leave a hard bottom after a period of time.  I added a single shank subsoiler to my tools to solve this problem.  I also use the subsoiler to loosen up the soil real nice in my carrot rows.  I use a single bottom plow and the disk on my Cub when necessary.  Then use a Howard Rotovator attached to the Kubota BX to finish the seed bed.  The subsoiler works well on the BX since it is 4wd.  I can get it down about 14" which is plenty deep for my purposes.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I dont have enough weight to run a plow like I would want to, i have enough HP (36) but its a bit light of a machine Mahindra 3616, but as another said I also go back with a subsoiler and break it up down below 15" for the root crops
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??????

It may be the type of soil you are breaking.  In my area, soil is loaded with rocks and very hard with a good amount of clay.

Same here. If you let the tiller back home hit unbroken ground, it's very rough and even tends to push the tractor forward.

We always plowed the garden first every year, and usually even ran a set of discs over it after plowing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Reverse rotation tillers do not push forward on the tractor like the forward rotation ones do.  In any case, I do not use my tiller for breaking new soil. That is the job for the chisel plow.  

However, if a tiller is all you have, I believe a reverse rotation tillers would be better for breaking new ground than the forward rotation tillers.  With the forward rotation, you are trying to push the rocks down into the soil.  With the reverse rotation tiller, you are trying to bring them to the surface of the ground.  Rocks come up easier then they go down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#17]
So what is that?  A cultipacker or seeder being pulled behind your tiller?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I sure do love mine.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what is that?  A cultipacker or seeder being pulled behind your tiller?

Yeah, Brillion Seeder behind a Howard Tiller, works pretty good. Seeder is ground driven, its a cool set up.

Its a picture from work, not my stuff though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top