Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 2:42:17 PM EDT
Found a nest that one of my Khaki Cambell hens has been hiding. Probably an easy 1 1/2 dozen eggs. little bitch has been holding out on me lol. I'd hate to waste them all. Any way to tell if they are safe to consume? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
See if they float.  If they do then don't eat em.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Cool thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks!

How many ducks do you have
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks!

How many ducks do you have

1 Drake, 4 Hens. Most of them just drop the eggs where they stand. This one hen has decided to sit on them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not let her sit on them and see if any hatch.  It should take about 3 weeks + a day or two.  If it works, you may have lost a few eating eggs, but if you gain a few more egg producers, it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

does this work for all eggs or just duck eggs?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not let her sit on them and see if any hatch.  It should take about 3 weeks + a day or two.  If it works, you may have lost a few eating eggs, but if you gain a few more egg producers, it will be worth it.

I thought about it but she has so many she cant possibly sit on them all. She will have a mound before to long lol. Plus I dont think I can get away with any more ducks at my current residence. The nieghbors have been nice enough to not complain to code enforcement so far.

My GF has an incubator so maybe I will incubate a few to see what happens. I will just have to find another home for the ducklings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always go with the Century Egg consumption method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg (may not be safe for weak stomach types).
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Crack open any questionable eggs in a bowl outside. If they're good, bring them back in and cook away. If they're bad, there will be no doubt in your mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top