Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 8:19:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ours does.
I think last time you were looking at chickens I linked to a pdf which wouldn't work.
Here's a link to Denver ordinance.  Choose #2 ordinance number 621 which has specific verbiage and guidelines for honey bees.

http://www.denvergov.org/tabid/441511/Default.aspx?kw=honey+bee&cat=&bn=&df=&dt=&on=&fn=&rn=&cbsn=&osn=

(The first option excludes honey bees from the dangerous animal definition.)
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
confused: what in your code says they are prohibited?  The way this works is that stuff is allowed as long as this is a free Nation.  You generally don't ask if something is allowed, you ask if there is a law prohjibiting it - the presumption is freedom to pursue life, liberty and happyness.  I'll be damned if I'd ask permission for my bees.  And my chickens and other assorted fowl.   Perhaps there is some general prohibition against livestock?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
confused: what says they are prohibited?  The way this works is that stuff is allowed as long as this is a free Nation.  You don't ask if something is allowed, you ask if there is a law prohjibiting it - the presumption is freedom to pursue life, liberty and happyness.  I'll be damned if I'd ask permission for my bees.  And my chickens and other assorted fowl.  

+1

Never thought to ask.

Besides, just MY beehives. They're God's bees.

(Obscure MD reference bout "the Lord's oysters")
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
confused: what in your code says they are prohibited?  The way this works is that stuff is allowed as long as this is a free Nation.  You generally don't ask if something is allowed, you ask if there is a law prohjibiting it - the presumption is freedom to pursue life, liberty and happyness.  I'll be damned if I'd ask permission for my bees.  And my chickens and other assorted fowl.   Perhaps there is some general prohibition against livestock?

That's not how most city codes are written.  They are generally permissive ordinances.  If they don't expressly give you permission, it's considered illegal (within reason).  It's not possible to list everything that is or isn't legal in any document.  Obviously some common sense needs to be applied here.  Ordinances won't dictate that you can put up a basketball hoop or Christmas lights.

I have a nosy neighbor who made life hell for me when I got my chickens.  It reached the point they were calling animal control 7+ times per day to complain.  They admitted to animal control that they didn't smell and didn't make noise.  They just knew it wasn't allowed so they were reporting it.  

as an attorney this has not been my experience, but then again I have no knowlege of city codes where you live.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1

Avoid only places the SPECIFICALLY exclude bees.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how most city codes are written.  They are generally permissive ordinances.  If they don't expressly give you permission, it's considered illegal (within reason).  It's not possible to list everything that is or isn't legal in any document.  Obviously some common sense needs to be applied here.  Ordinances won't dictate that you can put up a basketball hoop or Christmas lights.

I have a nosy neighbor who made life hell for me when I got my chickens.  It reached the point they were calling animal control 7+ times per day to complain.  They admitted to animal control that they didn't smell and didn't make noise.  They just knew it wasn't allowed so they were reporting it.  

There was probably some early-1900s restriction (an enumerated one) on chickens.
It must be named to be banned.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

as an attorney this has not been my experience, but then again I have no knowlege of city codes where you live.

+1 from another attorney - in the WV/PA/OH tri-state area.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
We fought for Chickens and bees in our local city last winter. We had to get approval with the planning and zoning commission and the city council. They denied us except for one old farmer who sat on the city council, his comment, "if you want chickens and bees and you don't mind work, who the hell am I to dictate to you what you can and can't do with providing for you and your family." Even though we lost because the city had a specific ban against both, we were trying for an exception. They denied us on smell, yep that's right, in the middle of IA they were worried about 6 chickens in a coop smelling up a small town. We had cited local ordinances from bigger cities that allowed chckens and bees and they still said to us No because that's what we get when we move to a big town that doesn't want smells. Mind you, this town was 1200 people, 30 minutes from Des Moines metro (where they allowed chickens/bees) out in the middle of nowhere. Plus the fact that two blocks in any direction from my house was a farm with 80 head cattle and two farms with pigs.  

What did we do? We sold our house this year and are looking for an acreage as far away from stupid crap like that, that we can afford to get to.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What did we do? We sold our house this year and are looking for an acreage as far away from stupid crap like that, that we can afford to get to.

They sure showed you.  Good on you for making an attempt and then starving the beast when it didn't agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
We have nothing bee specific in town.  They DO outlaw livestock, and specifically chickens.   (Unless you have a minimum of 4 acres)

Orange County (NY) Has, over the last couple years, encouraged growing food and possibly raising small livestock.  I know that there was one guy was trying to get the town to allow very small scale animal keeping, and it made the paper when the town told him to F-off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top