Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 9:59:40 PM EDT

It would be put in sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and silica gel packs. It seems to me that this would be something pretty useful/convenient to have in the long term storage bin. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
RTMI
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

RTMI
What's that supposed to mean?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
RTMI

Relative To My Interests.

I wanna know, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have box of Bisquick in front of me, but I would look at the ingredients. Then look at each ingredient separately in terms of storage life and go with the shortest shelf life for of the ingredients when stored in Mylar with oxygen absorbers. I'm sure flour is the main ingredient. I have read is good for ~5 years at 70 degrees, longer if keep cooler than 70 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Enriched flour, bleached wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamine, mono-nitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil.  Leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate) dextrose, salt

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The soybean and/or cottonseed oil would be the limiting factors for lengthy longterm storage due to the fat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say properly held, 5 years good, 2 more years questionable, after that pushing it for nutritional value, like "canned flour" 10 yr max would be my assumption the other stuff in there is what may go TU..

Chef
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RTMI

Relative To My Interests.

I wanna know, too.

Oh, ok. I guess I was kinda rude when I wrote that post. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top