Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2011 4:09:19 PM EDT
You can tell, I am new to prepping for long term storage of food. So, I will have many questions. What is the best type of rice to store in Large quantities?
I went to Wal-Mart today and got 5gal. buckets from their bakery at $1.00 each. They are food grade and clean, but they are translucent, not the solid white you normally see. Will these be OK to store mylar food packs in for long term storage?
Thanks,
BravoCharlie
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
White Rice is best, Brown goes bad faster. If the buckets are food grade just clean them out really well with dish soap and hot water and put the rice directly into them, no need to put the rice in mylar as long as your buckets seal air tight. I place some bay leaf in my rice when I seal it in buckets. I've read that it keeps bugs out. I also freeze my rice for a day or two to kill whatever might be in there initially.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw somewhere that brown rice keeps for about 6 months, whereas white Basmati rice can keep indefinitely.   White Basmati is about 75 cents a pound at Costco.  Tastes better than cheaper white rice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I saw somewhere that brown rice keeps for about 6 months, whereas white Basmati rice can keep indefinitely.   White Basmati is about 75 cents a pound at Costco.  Tastes better than cheaper white rice.

I am going to Sam's Club on Saturday to stock up on rice.  I have never bought in bulk before and was wondering what types were best.  Anyone else have any suggestions as well?

The store I am going to has extra long white 50lb for $19.87, Jasmine 25lb for $16.73, and Basmati 15lb for $14.92.  I probably need to check out other stores for variety.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am going to Sam's Club on Saturday to stock up on rice. I have never bought in bulk before and was wondering what types were best. Anyone else have any suggestions as well?

The store I am going to has extra long white 50lb for $19.87, Jasmine 25lb for $16.73, and Basmati 15lb for $14.92. I probably need to check out other stores for variety.

That is the one I would buy... But that's just me
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sticky rice is better to eat with your fingers too; get some green papaya, chile peppers, and patis and you got a meal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The more processed the rice, the longer it stores and the less nutritional value it has.  So brown rice is the best for you and has the shortest storage life.  We store and eat brown and parboiled rice.  Some info here http://waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/162
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 10lb bag of parboiled rice.  What exactly does that mean?  And what is the storage value?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
They would be fine if using mylar.  Remember, you do not need the pricey gamma lids if using mylar.  The bucket is just a storage container at that point. It keeps the bugs and rodents out. You don't have to use mylar, but the extra cost is next to nothing.  I say why not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a 10lb bag of parboiled rice. What exactly does that mean? And what is the storage value?

Parboiled rice is rice that was partially cooked while still in the husk to try and drive the nutrients from the husk into the rice.

It will be closer to brown rice in nutritional value then normal white rice. That also will shorten its shelf life in the same manner as brown rice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top