Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 9:08:29 PM EDT
Ok so I gained alot of help from the last thread I posted a few days ago, but now I have a new question.

How do you folk season your smokers? Ive heard cooking oil/bacon fat heated to 250 for an hour
Ive heard, lite a few coals and let the smoke and heat fill it

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always just let it season itself as I smoked a few times.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The instructions on the cheap smoker I was given said coat the inside of it with something like PAM spray or olive oil and give it a good burn in. Worked well with mine and it will give you an idea of temp, draw, and burn time on a load of fuel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

I have never actually seasoned mine. Just do a couple small batches of food, before going big, to get a feel for any idiosyncrasies.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have never actually seasoned mine. Just do a couple small batches of food, before going big, to get a feel for any idiosyncrasies.

If I go this route, would it be a good idea to spray some PAM on the grates, cause their cast iron.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on the smoker, you need to season it to burn off any oils or reside left from the factory.  I just turned mine on with some wood chips and got it to 275* for about 2 or 3 hours
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I brushed some cheap veggie oil on the inside of mine, and burned for two hrs at 300 or so.

Propane smoker.

K
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

If I go this route, would it be a good idea to spray some PAM on the grates, cause their if they're cast iron.

Not all smoker grates are cast iron.    But yeah, I don't see any use in 'seasoning' a smoker.  Your food doesn't come into contact with anything except the grates.

They are cast iron alright. The only wire thin metal grateing I have is the top warmer rack and my fire shelf adjuster handles.
I smoked me some pork ribs monday. They came out FAR better then I though. 4 hours at 190 -225 and I have people fighten for em. Lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But yeah, I don't see any use in 'seasoning' a smoker.  Your food doesn't come into contact with anything except the grates.

Which is only part of the reason you season a smoker.

How:
When I seasoned mine about 3 months ago, I rubbed it down with lard cakes.  It was a little messy, but seems to be the best way to ensure a good coating over all the metal.  I rubbed the racks and ALL metal surfaces inside the cooking chamber.  After applying the lard, I lit my fire.  I let it burn for maybe 3 hours.  Once it cooled, the insides looked like a well seasoned skillet.

Why:
Protection and sanitary purposes.  My smoker was built from a 250 gal LP tank.  There was some rust prior to the seasoning.  After seasoning, there was no sign of rust anywhere.  The metal surfaces had a dull black finish.  I have cooked on it 5 or 6 times now, and the grease from the meat I cook continues to build a hard-surface cake on the previously seasoned metal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
like others have said  I loaded mine up with wood and let it burn around 300
leaves a nice dull black finish that wont come off.
after you cook on it a few times the grease will season it for you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top