Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2010 6:46:25 AM EDT
Well, its not actually mine. One of my friends dads used to make them and I got it from him.

I was talking to another arfcommer a couple weeks ago and the topic of canning came up which made me think of these. He wanted the recipe so I thought you might too.

In each jar:

1 grape leaf
1 bay leaf....I'm not a big fan of these but I always put some in. Usually half a leaf.
2 garlic buds
dill
3 hot peppers
green tomatoes.

I quarter the bigger tomatoes. Green cherry tomatoes work well too.

The brine is pretty simple:

1 1/2 quarts vinegar. I've always used white vinegar but it probably doesn't matter.
1 1/2 quarts water.
1 cup canning salt.

Pour your hot brine into your pre-packed jars, install lids and water bath. Charlie (the person who came up with this recipe) does not water bath. I do, but just long enough to make sure everything is hot, maybe five or ten minutes. Any longer and the skins on the tomatoes peel and the tomatoes get mushy.

The grape leaf gives them a unique flavor and I believe helps to keep them firm. These might be an acquired taste, the first time I tried them I wasn't so sure but I love them now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This will be REALLY fun to do with my family.  I can't wait!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Well mine turned out mushy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]

You cooked them too long if they went mushy.  Try doing it with hot jars, hot brine, and no hot water bath.

/Not responsible for you killing yourself with strange bacteria

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not hot pack mine.
Just boil the pickle, pour it in the jar, let it cool and stick it in the fridge.
I have not died yet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well mine turned out mushy.

Dammit man, try it again....no time in the canner this time, just hot brine.

Mine are pretty damn good
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Out of green toms.  Did just like your recipe called.  They have good flavor............

Just figured out what I am going to do.

Mine will become relish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top