Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2010 2:14:56 PM EDT
It's freakin' hot here.

The netting I'm using for my trellis is breaking down and has gotten very crispy.
Even the strands that are not under tension are breaking.
I had to do some macramé to fix it, kind of hard to tear it down and replace it while it's covered with cukes and peas.
I'm going to write an angry letter to Burpee about it.

I use Raindrip fixtures in my drip system.
There is one component, a back flow preventer, that keeps failing.
I've gone through five of them this season.
They just crack around the neck and then burst.

This system is over at my remote garden and I really need it to function autonomously.
Especially in mid-season under 90+ temps.
Fortunately the garden store has let me return the last two but it's getting real old.
This part is downstream of a pressure regulator so it's only getting 25 gph, not like it's taking the full water pressure from the line.

Another angry letter to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]

I hate hot weather...fortunately, we live in the coolest part of the country...

Today it was 76 degrees...although, the next few days will be in the mid-80's...

Some of the Broccoli heads are approaching 10 inches in diameter...

Carrots are only thumb sized and the beets are still smaller than golf balls.

Tomatoes are (if we are lucky) a month off...

Strawberries are producing about a pound a day...

Between the deer and the rabbits nothing grows unless its netted...

I can't wait for October...Deer season

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
High 90's with 105+ heat index today through Sunday at least. Zucs, squash and cucs won't make it. Second planting of bush beans is on the edge even with lots of water. Tomatos not setting fruit and blossoms are burning up. Sweet peppers aren't putting out blossoms.

I lucked up and a guy gave me enough corn to can 21 quarts last week. He had to get it out of the garden before it fermented. It was dang close..........

Okra, sweet taters, hot peppers going absolutely nuts in this heat. They are the only ones that seem to like it.

Chickens have pretty much shut down egg laying. Thinking about getting them AC for the coop LOL.

I don't even want to see my city water bill for the last two months...............

As I sit right now it is 90 degrees at 21:30.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the freakin' deal with carrots?
They take forever.
Mine are going on 90 days and they're thumb sized.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Not that I am an expert, but aren't carrots more of a cool climate crop?

Did you fertilize them? Give them lots of water and they do like sandy soil.

The sandy soil will help with good straight roots...

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
97 here today(with a heat index of hot as shit).  It was 81 at 3am!  My first garden all died except the maters.  I'm wanting to get the rest of my second garden out, but I don't want to in this heat.  I have a couple more cucumbers, 1 squash, 1 zucchini, and a watermelon that are growing pretty good.  Transplanted them a couple weeks ago.  The watermelon is taking off the last couple days like CRAZY.  My pepper seedlings are going crazy in this heat as well.  I've got a small mater plant that is doing ok, and a roma that is going ok as well, those are both at my house with my late garden.  The first garden is out in the country and is dead like I said except for the maters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Got ran out of the garden by the heat, My buddy came by with his Kubota tractor and tilled the half of the garden that was not planted, I am going to plant some more peas, try some black beans, and maybe a second go at squash. I am going to solarize the rest and get it ready for a later planting of the cole crops.

The tomatoes are about dead (1/3) with a fraction of the production last year. That area will definitely have to be solarized
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top