Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 2:31:49 PM EDT
I have read a few articles that say you should nip the first blooms to make the rest of the seasons fruit better. I am growing indeterminate beefsteak type tomatoes.

What say you on pruning and the nipping of the first round of blooms?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I pinch out (disbud and disbranch) all of the suckers in the first 18" or so.  That allows the plant to put all of its energy into vertical growth and to aid in air circulation at the base of the plant.  The additional benefit is that the total plant size increases before fruiting and is better able to support a large crop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply. I will take care of that this evening.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually trim all suckers and branches up to about 2ft also.  I didn't trim a a plant of each variety I put in the ground this season just to see what a difference it makes.  The ones that were trimmer seemed to be more full with foliage, fruits were larger, and the plants also grew taller.  The ones that weren't trimmed looked like a mess just because they were growing out like crazy, but they grew as tall as the trimmed plants.  Foliage wasn't as full but there seemed to be more fruits, although the fruits weren't as big
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top