Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2010 1:01:30 PM EDT
...and they are winning.

We've known for a week that there is a little itty bitty baby rabbit in the fenced-in garden. A few nights ago we were musing over the situation, and I told my wife that since it is impossible for this rabbit to get into the garden, it was most likely that a mother rabbit breached the perimeter and we had multiple interlopers.

Last night she saw the little bugger again and told me it had doubled in size. Today we find a half eaten beet, so I decided it was time to run the varmint off. I opened one corner of the garden up, peeling the fence back about three feet in each direction. Prior to this I put the garden hose where I could use it like a flame thrower, and asked my wife to stand back and play "spotter".

So...I started at the opposite corner of the garden and with the nozzle set on "sandblast", I swept the garden back and forth with the Nozzle of Death. Flushed it out into the open and played "chase the rabbit" as it ran to and fro. At one point I hear my wife say "he went that-a-way!" and I said "uh, he went that-a-way, too".

Two bunnies.

I finally chased one of them out of the garden, but not before spotting bunny #3.
Two bunnies are mocking me right now. The fence is open. They are hiding in the green beans, or under the tomatoes, snickering and nibbling away.

I fear there are actualy 5 in there, and a couple of them have ninja-like skills.
Will this require a kill-dozer?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
This calls for sniper tactics.  Scoped air rifle, sighted in for that range, on bench about 6' behind the open window of a darkened room.  (no muzzle outside the window)  Shoot for the chest, just like a deer.  The head is too thick for some air rifles to penetrate effectively, but well placed shots to the chest knock them off pretty quickly.  

No one will know where the single shot of death came from.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This calls for sniper tactics.  Scoped air rifle M82A1, sighted in for that range, on bench about 6' behind the open window of a darkened room.  (no muzzle outside the window)  Shoot for the chest, just like a deer.  The head is too thick for some air rifles to penetrate effectively, but well placed shots to the chest knock them off pretty quickly.  

Fixed it
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered two dozen claymores from wekillrabbits.com.

I figure what the hell. I can pick the greenbeans up from all over the yard, and the tomatoes will be easier to process into sauces this way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
 and this way they will be ready to eat..
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This calls for sniper tactics.  Scoped air rifle, sighted in for that range, on bench about 6' behind the open window of a darkened room.  (no muzzle outside the window)  Shoot for the chest, just like a deer.  The head is too thick for some air rifles to penetrate effectively, but well placed shots to the chest knock them off pretty quickly.  

What he said!! I'm getting ready to put some CB Longs in the 22 and wait...
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Think of the garden as a source of food, and you're raising both vegetables and bunnies as a source of your nutrition.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Snares buddy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Going out with the wife and the hose for round two.
Wish me luck.

This is NOT working. I've probably damaged the garden more than if they both fed in there all Summer. Bastards! Going to go lick my wounds and massage my ego now.

I finally see the utility of a .22 revolver. *sigh*

HAhahahahaha!!!!!!!!
I saw one exploring the fence line, so I grabbed a fishing net, medium size, the kind you use to land a fish. I thought I could sneak up and net him.

Not.

But I will. Oh, yes I will.
I will net those rabbits.
Muwaaahuhaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa!!

I have to go take some pills now...
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I prefer this method, but use a .22 with shorts.  Turn on some music kinda loud.  Rock seems to have enough random sounds to mask a single shot.

ETA:  The purpose of rabbits is to turn sunshine and water (your garden) into protein.  Don't let it go to waste.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer this method, but use a .22 with shorts.  Turn on some music kinda loud.  Rock seems to have enough random sounds to mask a single shot.

ETA:  The purpose of rabbits is to turn sunshine and water (your garden) into protein.  Don't let it go to waste.

i like the way you think
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I learned this technique from a veteran "city hunter".  The nice thing is, you have ample items to help you get the perfect shot.  Things like tables, and pillows to rest your rifle on to get incredibly steady.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I sat in the garage before the sun came up this morning with the windows open..watching, waiting.  About 10 minutes after it started getting light outside here they came...like an army.  2 came into my yard, 3 stayed in the neighbors yard.  I got the biggest one in my sight picture, popped the safety off...and squeezed.  He did a huge flip then crashed for a second and started to hobble off...so I finished him off.  The good thing about CB longs is they sound like an air nailer...not even that loud.  My neighbors know I build some furniture so they never even know.  The other rabbit ran off quickly...but gave away his entry and exit locations.  The snare is out now.  I didn't go after the other 3 rabbits due to them being in the neighbors yard.  I sent out a clear message to the furry bastards, I'm sure they will hump and be back with reinforcments...but I have plenty of 22 and plenty of time. They only got one squash so far

Darkgun-1 vs Rabbits-1....the games continue
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
maybe someone who has a beagle will loan him to you for a few minutes for rabbit duty.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sat in the garage before the sun came up this morning with the windows open..watching, waiting.  About 10 minutes after it started getting light outside here they came...like an army.  2 came into my yard, 3 stayed in the neighbors yard.  I got the biggest one in my sight picture, popped the safety off...and squeezed.  He did a huge flip then crashed for a second and started to hobble off...so I finished him off.  The good thing about CB longs is they sound like an air nailer...not even that loud.  My neighbors know I build some furniture so they never even know.  The other rabbit ran off quickly...but gave away his entry and exit locations.  The snare is out now.  I didn't go after the other 3 rabbits due to them being in the neighbors yard.  I sent out a clear message to the furry bastards, I'm sure they will hump and be back with reinforcments...but I have plenty of 22 and plenty of time. They only got one squash so far

Darkgun-1 vs Rabbits-1....the games continue

Nice.  Did you have fried rabbit and eggs for breakfast?  

You know, this would make an epic breakfast pic thread.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Indeed...biscuits n gravy...the whole works.  I've only lost one squash plant I put out the other day thus far...and I plant to keep it at one plant
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just ordered two dozen claymores from wekillrabbits.com.

I figure what the hell. I can pick the greenbeans up from all over the yard, and the tomatoes will be easier to process into sauces this way.

Tease.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I feel your pain. Neighborhood squirrels have destroyed my tomato harvest. I have already shot 4 with a competition air rifle but they do not seem to stop coming. The worst part is they dont even finish the tomatoes!!! The simply take a bite or two then leave them on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Squirrels are a pain in the ass because they can get over fences.  Traps work great for squirrels...we usually have a downed log run from the ground to a fence, they love running on the tree and getting over a fence so when they run SNAP...traps get them.  
Day 3 me vs rabbits...it would appear rabbits threw up the white flag.  I suspect they are hiding, breeding and waiting for a surprise attack...I'll be ready
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
What about the cage traps?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We do not negotiate with terrorist.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I can personally vouch for the fact that an electric fence does work.      
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do not negotiate with terrorist.

HAHAHAHA...well said
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
this could be funnier than "full power shot."  go on, op, go on.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Have you got your Hasenpfeffer recipe ready to go?  Check it out Here
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Very anti-climactic ending.

Got rid of them by opening two corners of the garden fence and leaving it that way all day. About suppertime we saw the smaller one prancing in and out ofthe garden, testing the waters of the new terrain.

Waited till he was far enough away from an opening that I could go out and chase him around a while. He kept bashing into the fence trying to find a way in. Cornered him, picked him up and took him across the railroad tracks and let him loose.

Closed the fence openings back up.

Later that night we saw the larger one playing tag with the first one I had hosed and evicted the other day. Garden is now rabbit free.

Cancelled the order for claymores.
Very boring ending to the saga, but at least they have stopped chewing on the beets and the green beans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, at least you got rid of them.  Maybe you can open the fence back up once the beans are almost ready...then you can fry up some rabbit for dinner.  Rabbit, biscuits n gravy, mashed taters, and green beans.

I hadn't seen a rabbit for days...until 45 minutes ago.  I was sitting out back getting ready to put some beans and corn in the ground the biggest damn rabbit I've ever seen(aside from a swamp rabbit) ran right next to the house....the game is back on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Darkgun-2, rabbits-1
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Around where I grew up, farmers would pay a 5 dollar bounty on any rabbit, gofer, mole, or possum you brought them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I fear there are actualy 5 in there, and a couple of them have ninja-like skills.
Will this require a kill-dozer?

You don't have dogs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top