Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2009 8:48:27 PM EDT
I went to my local Publix recently to look for some Beef Liver so I could try cooking liver and onions for the first time.
They didn't have any Beef Liver, but they had a whole bunch of Chicken Livers. I almost bought them, but decided to wait and read up on how best to cook different kinds of liver.

Sooo, does Arfcom have any recomendations on how to cook Beef or Chicken Liver?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
open a window it stinks
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it!  Use it to catch catfish, then bread and fry or filet and grill.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
open a window it stinks

Yeah you have to add lots of onions to mask the taste, that way it is ok
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Lessee, the liver is used to filter the blood of impurities like antibiotics and steroids.  They feed cattle antibiotics and steroids––––>  Liver must be full of pollutants.  

Do not want!  

Seriously, I would only eat liver from animals that I personally raised.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lessee, the liver is used to filter the blood of impurities like antibiotics and steroids.  They feed cattle antibiotics and steroids––––>  Liver must be full of pollutants.  

Do not want!  

Yup.

When ever someone brings up liver I always ask if they would enjoy eating a car oil filter? It's more or less the same thing...
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't do it!  Use it to catch catfish, then bread and fry or filet and grill.

This it will smell much better!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not want!  

Yup.

When ever someone brings up liver I always ask if they would enjoy eating a car oil filter? It's more or less the same thing...

I'm cool with it, totally cool. I want that tasty vitamin A.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not want!  

Yup.

I'm cool with it, totally cool. I want that tasty vitamin A.  

*shudders*

The bodies filter

To each his own!  

*shudders again*
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I went to my local Publix recently to look for some Beef Liver so I could try cooking liver and onions for the first time.

They didn't have any Beef Liver, but they had a whole bunch of Chicken Livers. I almost bought them, but decided to wait and read up on how best to cook different kinds of liver.

Sooo, does Arfcom have any recomendations on how to cook Beef or Chicken Liver?

Cook the beef any way you want, 'cuz you'll be keeping my share.

Chicken liver is for gravy.

I'll eat beef tongue if it's done right, but I've since sworn off tripe, even in pho.

Kidney gets left on the same plate with the liver.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Do not ruin it........I slice liver thin and cook in a pan by itself and eat it without onions ect ruining the taste.Growing up at $.39 a pound was a frugal meal but real healthy
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Dice up and feed to chickens then cook and eat chickens.

Little cannibal bastards love chicken liver. We gave the livers to the dogs and the chickens went all commando raid on the dish, fought off the dogs, and absconded with their deceased brethren's organs.

Dice it up, roll in flour, and fry in bacon grease. Duh.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
hang it from a tree and then shoot the birds when they come to feed on it. If you are going to eat liver, you might as well it crow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
with Fava beans.

Highly recomended by Dr.Hanibal Lector

CHEF

buy CALVES LIVER for a newb, Beef liver is a bit strong, chicken liver has its own taste that is quite different, yet similar to beef liver.
slice the liver VERY THIN, lighly season with salt and pepper,
dip liver into one egg whipped with 1 tsp of milk,
dredege liver in lightly seasoned flour(salt, pepper, garlic powder, )
saute medium, (firm but NOT HARD)
I like sauted onions and mushrooms with mine, and honestly, sometimes Ketchup.

.STRONG BEEF LIVER can be inedible at times unless your a real liver lover..
it is cheap, calf's liver is 3 or 4 times as much but tastier,,
it is a filteration system for the body
it is very high in IRON and Vit A and other Good nutrients..and supposed to be eaten once a week, or at least twice a month for good nutrition, especially if following a high fish/chicken/veggie diet

CHICKEN LIVERS aree usually deep fried in corn flour, well done, not a fan, but know folks who like, eat a lot when served..a bit pasty to the tounge, similar to fried oysters and or clam bellies in texture..

CHEF

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I love liver.

Slice it and pan fry it.  Dredged and battered like Chef writes above, although that's not necessary.  Usually w/ onions, but not always.

My wife freaks out when I eat deer liver w/ breakfast.  

K
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
No such thing as "Good liver".
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No such thing as "Good liver".

For the win.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Dredge liver in lightly seasoned flour. Brown both sides in skillet with a little oil. Put it in crockpot and cover with brown gravy. Cook on low all day. It's great! Very tender...
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do not ruin it........I slice liver thin and cook in a pan by itself and eat it without onions ect ruining the taste.Growing up at $.39 a pound was a frugal meal but real healthy

I agree.  Cook it quickly so it is still pink.  Any meat with a ton of iron will taste like it –– the taste is called "livery" –– if you don't cook it fast.  This applies to ostrich as well.  If there is too much blood for you when the liver is rare, soak it in water after slicing and before cooking.  Two changes with a little agitation will cover 90% of the blood issue.

ETA:

I have always dredged it in wheat germ and fried it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy only calves liver. It is lighter in color than beef liver. Throw it on the barbe and it will swell up like a footbal. Slice it and serve with grilled onions. MMMMMMM
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't

THIS
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
If its a beef liver, I take a whole bunch of thinly sliced onions fry them and let them caramelize and reduce.  Then I add very small pieces of liver that are sliced thin and de-membraned.  Salt and pepper to taste

Once cooked, I add a bottle of wine, one cup at a time and let it reduce with the liver and onions.  This will take a long time.

Then, I serve this black mess over a hearty pasta with fresh parsley and a touch of reggiano parmesan.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been wondering about good recipes for beef liver myself. I  just bought half a cow and the processor asked me if I wanted the liver and tongue.  I like tongue but wasn't to sure about the liver. I just didn't want it to go to waste. I paid for the damn thing.

Looks like I am going fishing!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Soak it in good clean water overnight, throw away the water and wash it rigorously afterwards with vinegar added.

Chop it into good sized chunks, 1¨x1¨ maybe?

Cover in good old flour, deepfry good.

Eat it with tons and tons of chopped onions with lemon juice and parsley.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I've always loved liver, even as a kid.  Calves liver is best.

I fry bacon, then saute onions in the fat, then dredge in flour.

Do not overcook it.

Make gravy out of the remnents, eat with mashed potatoes and peas.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Buy only calves liver. It is lighter in color than beef liver. Throw it on the barbe and it will swell up like a football. Slice it and serve with grilled onions. MMMMMMM

.........Dude.....

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]
my dog LOVES those Chix livers . I just put in a pot and boil away .

A chef I used to know said to soak liver in milk ,(  maybe over nite ? )  then fry w onions .

I don't like liver so I never tried it .

I did try a couple bites last time I made it for my my lil dog . It's not so bad now that I'm gettin older maybe
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought some Chicken livers yesterday evening. I'm going to try cooking them either tonight or Thursday. Should be a fun experience.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Slice it thin, fry it up with onions and BACON, only bacon has the power to make shit like liver taste OK
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Slice it thin, fry it up with onions and BACON, only bacon has the power to make shit like liver taste OK

Bacon fat is in the plan.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm OK with beef liver, not my favorite but sometimes I just really want some. I just cook it with onions and then squirt lemon juice on it (Don't ask me why, that's just how my mom did it, so that's how I like it)

Chicken liver on the other hand is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

I just sprinkle them with S&P then dredge in flour. I know some people like the whole flour-buttermilk-flour thing, or flour-egg-flour thing, and that's OK with me but not my favorite. I just like a little flour then pan fry. After they are done use the left over oil and drippings to make a rue and some gravy. I swear the only thing that makes better white gravy is if your also fry up some gizzards, for some reason the gizzards add a lot of flavor to the gravy.

Then dump the gravy over some buttermilk biscuits. and the liver (or liver and gizzards) on the side.

Oh, fuck, now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm OK with beef liver, not my favorite but sometimes I just really want some. I just cook it with onions and then squirt lemon juice on it (Don't ask me why, that's just how my mom did it, so that's how I like it)

Chicken liver on the other hand is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

I just sprinkle them with S&P then dredge in flour. I know some people like the whole flour-buttermilk-flour thing, or flour-egg-flour thing, and that's OK with me but not my favorite. I just like a little flour then pan fry. After they are done use the left over oil and drippings to make a rue and some gravy. I swear the only thing that makes better white gravy is if your also fry up some gizzards, for some reason the gizzards add a lot of flavor to the gravy.

Then dump the gravy over some buttermilk biscuits. and the liver (or liver and gizzards) on the side.

Oh, fuck, now I'm hungry.

You're making me very very very hungry.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep, they are all good stuff. Any of the above recipes would be great, keep in mind not to cook either of them too much or you will be eating shoe leather. Liver is high in cholesterol so it is not on the healthy list like it used to be but I still love the stuff. Soaking in milk or buttermilk before prepping can remove some of the strong taste.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
with Fava beans.

Highly recomended by Dr.Hanibal Lector

CHEF

buy CALVES LIVER for a newb, Beef liver is a bit strong, chicken liver has its own taste that is quite different, yet similar to beef liver.
slice the liver VERY THIN, lighly season with salt and pepper,
dip liver into one egg whipped with 1 tsp of milk,
dredege liver in lightly seasoned flour(salt, pepper, garlic powder, )
saute medium, (firm but NOT HARD)
I like sauted onions and mushrooms with mine, and honestly, sometimes Ketchup.

.STRONG BEEF LIVER can be inedible at times unless your a real liver lover..
it is cheap, calf's liver is 3 or 4 times as much but tastier,,
it is a filteration system for the body
it is very high in IRON and Vit A and other Good nutrients..and supposed to be eaten once a week, or at least twice a month for good nutrition, especially if following a high fish/chicken/veggie diet

CHICKEN LIVERS aree usually deep fried in corn flour, well done, not a fan, but know folks who like, eat a lot when served..a bit pasty to the tounge, similar to fried oysters and or clam bellies in texture..

CHEF

You forgot the Chianti .... (thp thp thp thp thp) ...

Also, so far, I haven't seen anyone say add bacon to the liver and onions.  That's what my parents did to try to get us kids to eat it.  The day Beautiful tries to serve it to me is the day I file for divorce.  And I truly do love her, but knowing that she feels the same way I do about liver, I know that would be a message that it's time for me to get outta dodge.

Liver , it's NOT what's for dinner

(Any liver referred to in this post is beef liver)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Liver is high in cholesterol so it is not on the healthy list like it used to be but I still love the stuff. Soaking in milk or buttermilk before prepping can remove some of the strong taste. I thought about soaking it in milk, but couldn't remember who might have suggested doing it or why it would be done.

I disagree with the conclusions of most studies that say cholesterol is bad. They usually overlook information and or come to conclusions that I think are blinded by the idea that cholesterol is bad, even though it's an essential component that is used to protect and repair every cell within the body.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top