Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2009 6:05:42 PM EDT
What is the best way for long term storage of potatoes without a root celler. As you can see we live in az, have no basement but are looking into growing some potatoes and need to see what the best way to store them will be. Also, how long we can store them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about whole potatoes. The best bet for long term storage would be potato flakes. You can buy them in #10 cans or by the bag and place them in mylar w/ o2 absorbers. Stored this way they will last 20-25 years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
can them

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I think feral had a great write up on the potato "clamp."  in the archives maybe?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, dry, and dark........give them a good coat of powdered lime.  We have potatoes year-round storing like this.  Some year's crop stores better than others.  They'll shrivel a bit and feel a little spongey, but give them a good scrub and they're good to go for most things.

They do can pretty good too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool and dark.

The also need to be able to breathe so don't put them in a sealed container.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]

What ever you do, DO NOT WASH with water....shake the soil off as best you can.

Then put them into storage.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What ever you do, DO NOT WASH with water....

Forgot that.  Yes, that is an important one too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I manage a portion of the R&D and product development for the world's largest french fry producer.  Here's what the experts do to store potatoes from August to the next July.

• Shake of the excess soil.
• Remove any obsiously diseased, damaged spuds (use them up immediately).
• Store them in the dark at 48 to 50°F with 80 to 90% relative humidity air gently blowing through them.

I don't know how you'd do that at home but the numbers above are important.  The high RH keeps them from losing moisture.  The temperature slows down respiration and sprouting.  The dark keeps them from "greening".  Don't wash them or store them in sealed bags.

Glad I could help?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top