Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 5:31:06 AM EDT
did a search, didn't find much.

Online resources suggest "one" 500cc packet per 5 gal bucket, ARCOM wizards suggest doubling up each back to ensure proper utilization.

These will likely be stored (long grain white rice) for years before I feed them to my kids in the following condition:

single large mylar bag (sealed) inside a home depot bucket and rubber-gasket lid, in a cool basement.  Expectation of 5 years.

Suggestions?   I have 500cc and 100cc 02 absorbers I havne't opened yet - going to do 4-5 buckets at a time.   I was planning on one 500cc per bucket and then checking for "vacuum" so to speak after a few days, before sealing the buckets.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the general consensus is 1500cc of o2 absorbers for 5 gallon buckets (I could be wrong). There is a website that shows how many cc's per type of bag/bucket (I'll see If I can find it if someone else doesn't post a link). Also, If you seal the bags well with the proper amount of o2 absorbers - you can quadruple that 5 year anticipated shelf life.

ETA - http://www.sorbentsystems.com/o2absorbers_1.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I  toss in a small hand warmer, it pulls a good vacuum, pulling the lid down concave.
With a couple of these, you could do a 55 gallon drum if you wanted to.

Hand warmers go on sale at Wally-world in the spring.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
ETA:  The answer is....

2 500cc packets  

from the above link, their example was exactly what I was looking for (thanks!).   They calculated that a 5 gal bucket of rice would need less than 700cc of O2 absorption...  so 2 500cc'ers will be more than enough.

Example:
We want to know what size oxygen absorber to use for a 5 gallon bucket of rice.

1. We determine from the table above that there are 18,942 cubic centimeters in a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

2. The rice weighs 35 pounds which converts to 15,876 grams.

3. 18,942 (cc) container volume - 15,876 (g) rice = 3,066 cc residual air volume.

4. 3,066 (cc) residual air volume x .205 (oxygen fraction in air) = 628.53 cc oxygen volume

5. Since the size of oxygen absorbers are rated and named according to the amount of oxygen they absorb, we know that a 750 cc oxygen absorber will be sufficient for this bucket of rice
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I  toss in a small hand warmer, it pulls a good vacuum, pulling the lid down concave.

Ok, so handwarmers work on (absorb) oxygen, I get that. But are these a commonly acceptable substitute for O2 absorbers?

I'm just wondering because that seems like a pretty cheap source of O2 absorbers if you can find them on sale.

Any negative effects from the "burst" of localized heat that is trapped inside a bag that reflects the radiation back in? There is basically no convection or radiation to get rid of heat which are the 2 major heat dissipators in this situation; and rice/grain is a pretty decent insulator so very little conduction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so handwarmers work on (absorb) oxygen, I get that. But are these a commonly acceptable substitute for O2 absorbers?

I'm just wondering because that seems like a pretty cheap source of O2 absorbers if you can find them on sale.

Any negative effects from the "burst" of localized heat that is trapped inside a bag that reflects the radiation back in? There is basically no convection or radiation to get rid of heat which are the 2 major heat dissipators in this situation; and rice/grain is a pretty decent insulator so very little conduction.

They don't get hot... they only get warm while it absorbs the oxygen, and should not affect the grain.
From what I understand, the 02 absorbers and the hand warmers are made of powdered iron and salt.

A reminder about 02 absorbers, if the packet is " stiff " ( not flexible with loose material inside )... it's probably shot.
I store them in an air tight jar.

There's more on this kind of stuff all the time, come on over to the survival forum -> http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top