Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 4:31:29 AM EDT
The little rats are cutting into my yield.

Short of hiding in the bushes with your kit and AR, what do you all do?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it is birds?  Groundhogs and squirels are what we have most problems with.  Set up a video camera id you can and verify what the problem is...

Me, I gave up on fences and other barriers as they don't work with groundhogs and squirels so now I just kill them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The Sentry Project

Works on birds, squirrels, groundhogs, mice, rats, cats, dogs, opossums, shunk apes and pesky neighbor children.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The little rats are cutting into my yield.

Short of hiding in the bushes with your kit and AR, what do you all do?

Some thoughts...

If it is actually birds, netting is about the only viable way if you work outside the home, or if you want to get anything else done other than sit in the yard and watch for birds.

Bird netting gets a lot of songbirds who are there for the BUGS, though, too. They get caught in it and die.

If you drape your tomatoes with the netting, you should check it frequently. That way you can let the small birds go.  

I agree that you do need to identify what is damaging the fruit.  Make sure you either a) see the birds doing it, not just flying in and out of the garden (they could be after bugs) or b) ID the critter from the damage it has done.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
In NC this year there are a lot of critters eating stuff....... Check for stink bugs and grasshoppers, they are the worst I've seen in years. Your feathered friends are probably just picking the bugs off the fruit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Try putting water for the birds down by your garden.
5sub
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Rubber snakes may keep then out... this one is inflatable -

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top