Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2009 10:47:28 AM EDT

^Let's start with the basics.  Raspberry Berry Jam.  Probably my favorite.  (Yes the hands were well washed)

^ Basic Ingredients.  Water bath boiler, large soup pot, ladle, pectin, fruit, can grippers, funnel, lids and jars and oh, 25# of sugar (or thereabouts).

^Bring the fruit to a boil, add your sugar and pectin.

^Fill your jars, wipe the rim, cap tightly then  back into the water bath.  10-15 minutes later (Ball Blue Book recipe depending) pull'em out and listen for the seals to pop.

^Shabam! Raspberries!

^Making strawberry jam now.  It felt weird as hell squishing them up.

^Looooots of strawberries (3 quarts worth)  Sadly they look a bit off and didn't set very well.  Anyone know what I did wrong?

^Blackberry jam anyone?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! I love my Dad's strawberry jam he makes, it's to die for. Just got a canning kit this year and can't wait to try it out. Not sure if I'll get to do jam but I am planning on apple sauce in the fall! I am planning on canning tomatoes, maybe corn, maybe carrots?? Most stuff I think I am going to blanch, vacuum pack and freeze this year, like I have butt loads of zucchini and squash this year. What else do you can?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Awesome! I love my Dad's strawberry jam he makes, it's to die for. Just got a canning kit this year and can't wait to try it out. Not sure if I'll get to do jam but I am planning on apple sauce in the fall! I am planning on canning tomatoes, maybe corn, maybe carrots?? Most stuff I think I am going to blanch, vacuum pack and freeze this year, like I have butt loads of zucchini and squash this year. What else do you can?

I'm as new to this as I could possibly be.  I've only done raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and peaches.  More to come though, I'm moving on to peppers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm as new to this as I could possibly be.  I've only done raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and peaches.  More to come though, I'm moving on to peppers.

Pepper Jelly?? Nice, my Dad makes that too and we love it. Was going to try to make our own this year but our jalepenos haven't done shit, I don't think we planted enough of them and they weren't close enough together.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work!  I just did a bunch of strawberry jam over the last month and am looking to expand.  My wife loves raspberries, but I can't stand jams with all those seeds in there.  Does anybody know of a good way to remove them?  Running them through a chesse cloth, or scopping them off the top after boiling?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice work!  I just did a bunch of strawberry jam over the last month and am looking to expand.  My wife loves raspberries, but I can't stand jams with all those seeds in there.  Does anybody know of a good way to remove them?  Running them through a chesse cloth, or scopping them off the top after boiling?  Thanks.

My wife puts raspberries through a juicer attachment on her Kitchen Aid mixer. Most of the seeds are removed but you need to make sure the auger stays clear or it packs solid with seeds, and is hard to separate.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The best part is eating the foam skimmings after they cool...........
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the reason your strawberry jam did not set right is because you did not skim the foam off of the top while cooking it.  There is way too much in your jars.  Might have to do with the bubbles in the foam.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe its just me.... I never label the jars themselves. Just the lids.  I hate trying to peel labels off when they are done. Lids get thrown in the trash but jars just need to be washed and refilled.

just my .02

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The best part is eating the foam skimmings after they cool...........

Yep, that's the only thing that keeps me from cracking a fresh jar the next morning. Always much better if it sets for at least a few days. Mother used to make us wait until winter before we could eat this years preserves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top