Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2009 1:02:22 AM EDT
This is my first shot at a garden.

Did a 4x4 Sq Ft setup with cinder blocks.

Did some peppers, 3 types of tomatos, cuchumbers, squash, and some pumpkins (for my little girl to see)

We did the usual mix of potting soil, peat, and vermiculite *SP*   I am wattering it quite enough, and its getting plenty of sun.

here is the problem. The shoots all came up quite well, and fast. Then, growth stopped. Everything is green, and healthy, but the growth has been stunted for nearly a month now.

What gives??
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What are the daily temperatures there? My garden has just about stopped growing right now due to it being 100+ out during the day.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are the daily temperatures there? My garden has just about stopped growing right now due to it being 100+ out during the day.

Its getting on up there. Mid 90s during the day, mid 70s at night.

Its going to be a typical Louisiana summer, so, yeah.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The heat is likely the main culprit if the plants look fine other than they are just not growing very fast. Might want to put them in a shady area, or get some type of shade cloth to hang over them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
the pumpkins that i currently have growing take up more than a 4x4 area each.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The heat is likely the main culprit if the plants look fine other than they are just not growing very fast. Might want to put them in a shady area, or get some type of shade cloth to hang over them.

Netting helps.  It's probably the heat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]
sing to your plants.

I get that sometimes. Try something like miracle grow liquifeed. I used it, and it got them going like they were supposed to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top