Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2009 1:06:41 PM EDT
This is a pic of the garden, corn is up but I had to replant my beans (washed out bu heavy rains.

Tater box full and growing like crazy.

3 Apple trees I planted last year.

Hope all your gardens do well.
rustee
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I love that tater box.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
nice pictures. we put are first set of tators in this year. do u wait tell the bush dies out to dig them up?
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, yo DO have some water-y soil don't you!

I can see the gray, even in the pics.  Looks like it's very rich in nutrients though.

Do you have to add a lot of N?

Your tater box is looking great.  Now
I want one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The soil is very rich, I did haul about 12 pickup loads of sawdust this year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, where did you get the saw dust from? and what was the cost?

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, where did you get the saw dust from? and what was the cost?

There use to be a lumber mill  here, they give you the sawdust. There is also a venere plant here that will do the same. I chose the old lumber mill because I knew the sawdust has had time to age.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just out of curiosity, do you know why your soil tends to be water-logged like that?  I'm not familiar with the geography or substrates in South Carolina.  Is it a hardpan underneath that prevents drainage, or is it a high water table?  Or what?

You're doing a really good job adapting to that soil.  Poor drainage is one of the hardest things to deal with.

Kitties, the clueless
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the best mix of soil for a tater box?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Kitties, we have a very high water table here (hence the name "Low Country") and the pond doesn't help matters but it saves my butt during drought times.

The tater box has no soil just saw dust
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
tater box looks great rustee.

are you going to be able to get two plantings of taters? we're just now getting to the point where we don't have to worry about frost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top