Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2009 7:16:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]
my buddy and I were talking about this the other day. Right now I"m jar poor and have access to about 10 more dozen quarts when I need them. I will need to purchase about 15 dozen small lids and 8 dozen large lids soon before the hoarders buy them up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
are you cold packing the meat?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have plenty of jars but I need to get out and scour up some more lids.

Ace Hardware will sell you 24 boxes of 12 for about $100, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I need more lids and a pressure canner.  And a seam canner (ours is water bath).  And a juicer (mom promised me the one she made grape juice with when I was a kid, but nothing delivered yet).
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
24 boxes of 12 lids for $100.00  

Current Walmart cost for a Ball brand box of 12 small lids is $1.50 +tax.  24 boxes would cost $36.00 + tax.

Current Walmart cost for a Ball brand box of 12 large lids is $2.12 + tax.  24 boxes would cost $50.88 + tax.

If Walmart is out, check E-bay.  The cost per lid may be slightly less, and there is no sales tax, but you have to factor in shipping.
The Walmart price is hard to beat unless you live near a large Mennonite/Amish population and they have their own stores.  Even then you are not going to save much.

Edited to add, we have a grape steamer (juicer) but you could also choose to can the grapes without steaming them.  The only downside is the seeds are still in the grapes, and the juice is not as concentrated.  There is more pulp in the juice, it is up to you if you like pulpy juice or not.  We have done it both ways, but since we have the steamer we use it.  It is easier to fill the children's sippies with, as there is no pulp to clog the holes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ace Hardware will sell you 24 boxes of 12 for about $100, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

The Freds stores in my AO have the Golden Harvest brand of lids for $1 a box of the regular sized lids.  The wide mouth Ball brand were $3.  

My WalMart was $1.50 and $2.87  reg/wide Ball brand.  The Do-It-Best is $1.75 for Ball regular. Didn't pay attention to wide.

The Austell Ga Freds store now only has 8 boxes of regular lids left after I bought 48 boxes.  Since I had 2009 taken care of I'm now stocked up for the 2010 harvest.  Watch out though cause I'd like to buy enough for 2011 also so as to beat the great ammo, err canning lid rush
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Boy that price comparison is really bad!  Glad I didn't order a bunch at that price-

Here is the link for Ace Hardware

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ball-mason-caps-with-dome-lids-p-56683.html?ref=42
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Where do the pro's find there canning supplies.  Nobody around here seems to have anything in stock as of right now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
China mart is much less expensive than ACE.

See the cost comparison earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Just start buying small amounts now.  If you wait until canning season you will be SOL.  Trust me I know.  On that note...

Friday I took the day off to put in the garden.  Got bored at 11 so I went to get a Monster drink and cruise yard sales.  Found one that had one little sign posted on the corner in the middle of the neighborhood, nothing on the main roads.  So I stop to look.  Found a hand crank food slicer thingy for $2.00 so I said deal.  Asked the nice ladies if they had any canning jars and she said yes we do....show me says I.  she opens the closet door and shows me a box 24" H x 24" W x 36" L full of jars.  These were all sizes from quarts to jelly complete with bands.  She then tells me she also has a pressure cooker if I'm interested and begins to describe a AA pressure canner.  Again I say show me.  

By the time I got out of there I had about:
2 cases of quarts
3 cases of pints and about another case of jelly jars
1 7 quart All American pressure canner
1 7 quart presto canner
1 large plastic trash bag full of pint size freezer containers
1 coleman camping stove
1 coleman gas lantern
1 metal sided coleman cooler
1 large ceramic on steel bin for canning
1 med ceramic on steel bin for canning
1 large ceramic on steel roasing pan
and 1 pitch fork.
Grand Total.........$50.00

Jars at Kroger are $12.79 for quarts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just start buying small amounts now.  If you wait until canning season you will be SOL.  Trust me I know.  On that note...

Friday I took the day off to put in the garden.  Got bored at 11 so I went to get a Monster drink and cruise yard sales.  Found one that had one little sign posted on the corner in the middle of the neighborhood, nothing on the main roads.  So I stop to look.  Found a hand crank food slicer thingy for $2.00 so I said deal.  Asked the nice ladies if they had any canning jars and she said yes we do....show me says I.  she opens the closet door and shows me a box 24" H x 24" W x 36" L full of jars.  These were all sizes from quarts to jelly complete with bands.  She then tells me she also has a pressure cooker if I'm interested and begins to describe a AA pressure canner.  Again I say show me.  

2 cases of quarts
1 7 quart presto canner
1 coleman camping stove
1 coleman gas lantern
and 1 pitch fork.

You win.

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Dang, looks like Kroger is the wrong place to buy jars.  Wally World around here won't have the jars until mid summer and then only for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Late last night, I saw that the wally world here has canning supplies in, finally. I only grabbed a box of wide lids/rings instead of filling a cart like I wanted (please forgive me). I was on a mission for other stuff and not using a cart.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#19]
LMAO at the garage sale story. I told the wife to look for a second old Presto pressure cooker a couple years ago and pay up to $20 for it if she found one. She brough home one day a Presto in excellent shape along with a big boiler canner and all the goodies for both. Talked the lady down to $7.50 since she wanted it all
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
are you cold packing the meat?

Some of it. So far I've raw packed hamburger, chicken and Bob Evans breakfast sausage links. Going to do some pork tenderloin next time it's on sale. The rest has been in stews, soups and sauces.

I'm getting a good stash of those sort of things and just want to rebuild my jar supply for when the garden comes on.

You should post a tutorial with pics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got a few dozen Ball jars for $7/dz at the co-misery, I think Ill clean them out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Thats a heck of a deal for $50! Geeze, all I ever see in garage sales around here is used clothes...

Quoted:

2 cases of quarts
1 7 quart presto canner
1 coleman camping stove
1 coleman gas lantern
and 1 pitch fork.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

LMAO at the garage sale story. I told the wife to look for a second old Presto pressure cooker a couple years ago and pay up to $20 for it if she found one. She brough home one day a Presto in excellent shape along with a big boiler canner and all the goodies for both. Talked the lady down to $7.50 since she wanted it all

Can you still get new seals for old pressure cookers like that?

I have my mom's real old one, and I like it because it was hers, ya know?

But I haven't tried to get a new seal yet, and it's not just old.  It's olde.

Kitties

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Local Menards today had quart or pint jars, 7 bucks a case.  Might want to check it out if you have a Menards near you.  This was their normal price, not a sale or anything.  MournSword
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you still get new seals for old pressure cookers like that?

I have my mom's real old one, and I like it because it was hers, ya know?

But I haven't tried to get a new seal yet, and it's not just old.  It's olde.

Kitties

Ace Hardware.  Saw them yesterday
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I believe the Presto I have from my grandma needed a new seal that I got at a local Hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If you live in Wisconsin, Especislly North East Wisconsin, Stop reading now, I hate compeitition......

Run an ad on craigslist, " wanted Mason Jars", I scored 600 or so jars for between $1 a dozen and $4 a dozen depending on how generous I was that day....

( I also scored an all american canner that holds 7 Quart Jars for $20 ......... Also  got 2 water bath canners for $3 each and a ladel and canning funnel for a buck from one of the ladies that called me with jars)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you live in Wisconsin, Especislly North East Wisconsin, Stop reading now, I hate compeitition......

Run an ad on craigslist, " wanted Mason Jars", I scored 600 or so jars for between $1 a dozen and $4 a dozen depending on how generous I was that day....

( I also scored an all american canner that holds 7 Quart Jars for $20 ......... Also  got 2 water bath canners for $3 each and a ladel and canning funnel for a buck from one of the ladies that called me with jars)

NICE..
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#30]
The lady at Wally World looked at me like I was an idiot for picking up a flat of large and regular sized lids today. Luckily they had it on the shelves now all I'll need is some Polish Pickle spice and Pickle Crisp to get all of my canning done this season.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Wally-World today:

Golden Harvest jars, quart:   $7.88 / doz     sku: 064928143204

, pint:     $6.82 / doz     sku: 064928141706k

Ball wide lids   $2.12 / doz       sku:  001440042000

regular lids     $1.50 / doz      sku:  001440031000

Hopefully this is competitive and helps someone out there...  Good stock in my area.  Also found a 16 qt Presto pressure canner there for under $70.  Didn't pick that one up though.  I have an All American that will do 5 pints at a time for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top