Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 11:22:46 PM EDT
    Just thought I'd let the hive know what kind of yeild I got from the space used with two crops. This was my first year of potato, but I was pleased with the outcome. I got approximately fifty pounds of taters from only two sixteen foot rows. I plan on a second crop in a different spot, again two sixteen foot rows, so that's one hundred pounds of potato from this amount of space in one season. I got fifty seven ears of corn from four sixteen foot rows. I am going to plant other crops in that space now. I had a lot of immature ears because of the small amount of corn I planted. Hopes this helps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Planting corn in my garden never made any sense to me.  I store most of what I plant and the yield vs. garden space needed to produce even a few ears of corn never made sense to me.  I also live in a high corn producing area, so I buy it in bulk to freeze at a pretty good price.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
   I got approximately fifty pounds of taters from only two sixteen foot rows.  

I did three 25' rows, and they appeared to be going crazy as far as I can tell above ground. I planted in trenches, and ended with mounds.

I think I might have potatoes coming out my ears.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I planted in trenches also and mounded the dirt up as the plants grew, I had three to five good sized ones per plant.

Your right, the corn did not yield that much food for the space, but it was really good. I froze it all. At the store they sell fresh ears for five for a dollar so it doesn't make a ton of since, and unless you have a large isolated farm, you can't save the seeds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top