Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 8:51:23 AM EDT
Just tried some for the first time a few days ago.  Expiration date was 2012 and I bought it about a year ago.

I was bored and didn't feel like cooking so I peeled it open.  Definately wasn't a slab of ham, but looked like it was pulled, processed (with gelatin) and stuffed in the can.  I ate it cold straight out of the can.  Tasted good, but I put some BBQ sauce on the for flavor.  I imagine it would have been much better tossed in the oven with some spice.

800 and some calories, it made for a meal in itself.  I don't remember the fat or sodium but imagine they were high like spam is.  Plan on picking up some more here and there to add to my canned food collection in the basement.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep DAK hams on hand.

My dad who was not a survivalist, but definitely had the survivor mentality always kept a couple of those hams on hand.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got quite a few of them. They're pretty damn good with eggs or ham salad.

I tried to stir fry some and mix it with rice. Not so good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It's my "ham" of choice in my stores. I like it better than SPAM.

It always helps to cook it a little. Fried with eggs is good, diced up in Mac & Cheese is good also. I've added it to lentil soup, and eaten it in rice dishes as well. Versatile stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
We bought 4 DAK hams and cubed one up and added it to our 13 beans soups.  Wasn't terrible, wasn't great.  It didn't add a lot of flavor.  With all these buckets of beans we're looking for some sort of pork that stores long term and tastes good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
We have been stocking Dak hams for a couple of years. Pretty good with eggs, also good baked by adding a can of pepsi or coke and cook till eveporated. Also good with an orange glaze.
Guess we have about 30 or so.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We bought 4 DAK hams and cubed one up and added it to our 13 beans soups.  Wasn't terrible, wasn't great.  It didn't add a lot of flavor.  With all these buckets of beans we're looking for some sort of pork that stores long term and tastes good.

The answer here is Yoder's Canned Bacon, yummy!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
i eat it with ramen noodles.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
DAK?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Danish ham in a can.

DAK Ham

Toad
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 3 pack in my BOB. I have a long hike home if I had to walk.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought about 30 of them before I tried one. If I cube it and fry it and mix with beans it isn't too bad, but not my favorite. I didn't buy any more after eating one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Danish ham in a can.

DAK Ham

Toad

Wow.  All of the Sam's in my area are out of them.  I'd noticed several months ago that my local Sam's didn't have any, but thought they were just out and didn't really think about it.  But now that I'm looking, it appears that there isn't a Sam's withing 100 miles of me that has them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]
check your local drug store when they run food specials, I but the 'premium' one, they come in varieties, the cheap one is mashed pork pieces, the best is same as real ham. it's much better heated up or used in a recipe.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I love dak ham.

Don't use them thought to add flavor to soups etc as they keep their flavor to themselves.

Think I will go open one now, slice off a big chunk, and eat it raw, yum!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Yet another product no longer available at the local Sams.  I was just looking for it Sunday
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I've noticed at Sam's they are seasonal items, available in the winter.

Not great food but makes for good addition to eggs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
    Cube a DAK ham and a couple of cans of potatoes and fry them until the edges are crispy, then scramble in a dozen eggs.  Breakfast from heaven for 4 to 6 people!

We made it anytime we went camping when I was a kid.  My grandfather called it Captain Dewey.  I asked him one time why it was called Captain Dewey, he told me "Because that's what it's called!", so don't ask me.  We still have it every Christmas for breakfast after we open presents.  We also make  it for dinner quite often.

Another good DAK ham meal is to slice it thinly and brown it lightly in a skillet and then layer it in your favorite Au gratin or Scalloped potato recipe.  Very filling!  You can also slice it thickly and BBQ it on the grill!  One of the best uses is to grind it and then make ham salad with it.  3 or 4 eggs, some Miracle Whip, relish and seasoning make the ham go further and give you some variety from your preps.

Store what you eat, eat what you store!

edited because I can't type
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Chunk it up and scramble some eggs.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes and we must support our Danish cartoonists and publishers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top