Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 3:24:53 PM EDT
Just wanted to warn you guys not to shop at Mountain Brook Foods.  Their food prices are ok but they completely rip you off on shipping.  Shipping charges were more than 50% of the cost of my recent order.  They sucker you with somewhat ok prices on their website but do not provide any information on shipping charges durning your check out or ordering process.  You find out a few days later once they bill you

Be warned and I do not recommend them at all due to this underhanded way of doing business!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the "they don't wrap up shipping costs into their product costs" defense.  I placed an order with them but got a bad feeling when they said that they estimate their shipping costs when they bill you.  I decided to check UPS.com and used their shipping calculator.  Shipping would have cost as much as the items that I wanted to buy according to the calculator so I decided to hold off.  Since then I've seen a lot of people complain about this very thing.  I suppose you could just find another company that gives you a shipping estimate and see how much the same product would cost you had you bought through them to find out if you really do see any savings.  I haven't bothered.  Dehydrated and freeze dried foods strike me as overpriced and a waste of money.  I use my preps and rotate them as needed.  I won't bother with a big stock unless I find a ridiculously good deal (like I thought this was until I saw how much they wanted to charge for shipping).  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
MANY internet companies are doing this lately.  I recently bought some parts for my truck (carpet, custom floormats, a few other odds and ends).  I had everything in my shopping cart and tallied up my total shipping charges.  It came out to somewhere around $45.  I then decided that I didn't need a certain $30 and 4# item.  I removed it from my cart, recalculated the shipping, and it was $54!  What a fucked up way to do business!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ordered from them three times . The first two times I thought the shipping cost was a bit high but I put up with it. The third time the cost of shipping was the same as the stuff I bought. That was it for me!!

I now buy from www.honeyvillegrain.com  they charge a flat $4.49 for shipping. I'm sure the real cost is built into the cost but at least you know exactly what you are paying upfront. NO surprises! They have several warehouses around the country to ship from and my order arrived in three days.

Red
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I wrote them an e-mail to complain.  They offered to quote me on shipping if I e-mailed them the exact items I would like to buy.  This is too much work, and a bad way to do business.  I will not buy from them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not figure out your order, email them AHEAD OF TIME, i.e, before you order and say "Please quote me shipping costs for this order" and then keep that email, phone quote, etc.

I realize this is days of the internet and no one wants to use the phone anymore, but it only takes a second, most places have 800 numbers if your too cheap and it would have saved a lot of hassle.

That being said, folks have to realize that the days of $8. shipping a 40 lb. case of food coast to coast are LOOOONG gone. The increase in shipping costs has really blown the old paradigm of "I'll order $50. worth every month." That's essentially went the way of the dinosaurs. Most folks are saving up, ordering 1-3X a year with a large enough order to ship either hundred weight UPS or by freight, thereby saving bu koo bucks on shipping.

I'm not taking sides here or any kind of non-sense like that, I'm just saying that shipping isn't cheap anymore. And yes, places that offer "$7. ships any order" just have the shipping costs already built into the price. That's called marketing.

Here's another time where people that didn't dick around for years getting there food storage can smile- you did it when costs were lower for shipping and probably saved a boatload of money. It's gonna get worse on that end, not better.

Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Eh, Walton Feed does the same thing and they are probably the biggest in the biz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top