Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:49:54 PM EDT
Normally when I clean these tasty treats I filet the meat off the bone and also filet the skin/scales off the meat. This past time out after catching a bunch, I decided to just scale and filet the meat off the bone, leaving the skin on the meat.

What is your preferred method and which cooks up better in your opinion? Thanks

mfn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
remove scales, cut of head, remove guts toss in a pan = yummy

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i usually just scale, gut, remove the head and fry,  or grill,

takes a little longer to pick a few bones, but its not really an issue for me or the missus

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't even have to remove the head unless you don't like them watching you as you drop them into the oil.

On a Montana adventure, our trout were so fresh they tried to jump out of the pan

They were good though

You can cook them in oil scales and all and peel the skin (and scales) after they're cooked. It comes right off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hot damn those are some good suggestions. Never even thought about frying the whole thing. It would save me a bunch of time cleaning and leave more room for drinking. Thanks

mfn
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
scale,gut,cook....less work imho
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Filleted, skin on or off (I prefer off if they are big enough), makes a scampi that kicks all major forms of ass.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i usually just scale, gut, remove the head and fry,  or grill,

takes a little longer to pick a few bones, but its not really an issue for me or the missus

pretty much how I've done it. Don't throw away those guts and the head as you can use them to make a fish stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top