Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 2:57:39 PM EDT
I planted some Hubbard squash around Aug 1.  They have been growing vigorously and are now about 15' long.  I get dozens of male flowers and a few females.  Each plant has a nice large well formed fruit but the other female flowers never get more than about 1/2" long then turn yellow and fall off.

Should they get more than 1 fruit per vine?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You might have a stink bug problem ! My summer squash did that and I found out that the stink bugs liked eating the flower portion of the squash and it would fall off and die .  This might not be the problem but you could find out by taking a spray bottle with a few Tbl spoons of dish soap and water in it and spray them down , the bugs don't like the soap and will leave it alone .  If you have egg clusters on your leaves , I'd bet this is your problem !
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh how I hate "squashbugs".  We got a terrific crop of zucchini once I got rid of the bugs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Try hand pollenating the female flowers, use a q-tip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They're not getting big enough.  They are turning yellow while still tiny.  Could extreme heat and drought cause it?  I don't have much time, only 3 weeks or so until frost (even though it was 90 yesterday )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top