Posted: 8/19/2007 4:23:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Feral left one out.........

15) Argue with significant other about the benefit of leaving the rings on versus her damnable insistance that we store them without the rings!
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont understand why some have to use a pressure cooker to can.

Also when do you seal the jars?  I looked like they were seal before they went into the hot water.  Won't they over pressure and explode?
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]

(12) Gently clean the jars and check the seals.

How do you check the seals?
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
TFWIANODU
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Another great post!

That's how my mom did it.

Have you canned anything else besides tomatoes?
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to add a couple of pictures....that's one of them.

Take the rings off your jars. Hold the jar in both hands and use your thumbs to press up, from the bottom, on the lid. A good seal will take a considerable amount of pressure to pop the lid off (obviously you don't want to pop the lid off.) After you checked a few jars, you'll get the hang off knowing which jars are sealed and which aren't by using a little thumb pressure.

Very good job on this post Feral.
Also, a good seal means the lid will be sucked down onto the rim of the jar, and you should not feel any give to the lid while pushing down on the center of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to add a couple of pictures....that's one of them.

Take the rings off your jars. Hold the jar in both hands and use your thumbs to press up, from the bottom, on the lid. A good seal will take a considerable amount of pressure to pop the lid off (obviously you don't want to pop the lid off.) After you checked a few jars, you'll get the hang off knowing which jars are sealed and which aren't by using a little thumb pressure.

Don't your lids "pop"--you know--suck down so they have a little dent in them when they're sealed?  That was always the fun part of canning for me.  I'd actually sit mesmerized and watch the jars after they were set aside, waiting for the "pop" they made when they sealed.  We never removed the rings until after each jar sealed.  If one did not seal, it got opened and eaten that day, or placed in the fridge for the next day's meal.  I can open a sealed jar fairly easily with just my fingernails, and I try to be careful with the seals, but we always removed/re-used the rims.

quote by Feral:

Tighten the ring carefully. Ring-tightening is more art than science; the Ball book recommends "fingertip tight," which means screwing the lid down gently until it stops, and then tightening it just a little more. Try not to over-tighten (it's like the difference between a firm handshake and a bone-crushing handshake). You'll get the hang of it quickly.

This is a great way to put it.  And the thing is, for men it'll be different than for women in this way.  It's a good tight squeeze for me, but for a strong man, it would certainly not be.  Isn't it interesting what we glean when we grow up doing things with our elders?  STuff like this, I never would have thought to mention if I were telling someone, but I just "know" how tight it should be.  Kinda like spark plugs or lug nuts. You just learn to "feel."  

Feral, you do a lot of steps my mom  and grandmother never did (heating the lids, etc.)  We boiled the jars, but that was to get them sterile.  This is really interesting.

ETA:  Okay I just saw the part about the "thwock" which is just how it sounds.  Missed that the first time through.  Lotta info in this thread and the pressure canning thread.  My mom was old fashioned I guess.  If the jar did not either "thwock" or show an obvious dent (only one now and then would fail) she'd use it immediately and not wait.  She didn't trust that seal without the thwock or the dent.

Dang, this makes me want to can, but this year I didn't even get to do a garden.

Kitties
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Have canned meat in the past, but I'd rather freeze it, frankly.

Me too.  Canned pork is an amazingly yummy thing though.  But I think it's the most dangerous thing, perhaps, to can other than green beans.  It has to be RIGHT or you're canning poison.

I also prefer corn frozen.

Kitties
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another great post!

That's how my mom did it.

Have you canned anything else besides tomatoes?

So far this year we've done dill pickles, pickled garlic, dill relish, green beans, pizza sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, salsa, red sauce, tomato soup and applesauce.

Have canned meat in the past, but I'd rather freeze it, frankly.

I'm going to make some mustard next probably.

Now that sounds good. I don't think I've ever had homemade mustard.

I would really like to  try all of this once I get back stateside.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Gene
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
the sound of the jars sealing (thwock is as good as any) is a wonderful sound.
My wife (the pro) goes around in the morning and taps them
if they give any, they didn't seal and you pull them out and put them in the fridge.
a good sealed jar is obvious

oh yeah, another camper for storing with rings on
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Would someone provide a link to the pressure canning thread?
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I am grateful to you. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 4:40:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top