Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 10:36:21 AM EDT
I am slowly going through my kit and shaving ounces and pounds and the bulkiest part of my kit at the moment is my TNF elkhorn 0de bag.  I am looking for a lightweight, compact when compressed 15de sleeping bag or quilt to replace my bag. I have a preference toward synthetic for durability but I'm not  against down fill. My price range is $300 or less. Compact packable size is critical, Weight is secondary in this category.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am slowly going through my kit and shaving ounces and pounds and the bulkiest part of my kit at the moment is my TNF elkhorn 0de bag.  I am looking for a lightweight, compact when compressed 15de sleeping bag or quilt to replace my bag. I have a preference toward synthetic for durability but I'm not  against down fill. My price range is $300 or less. Compact packable size is critical, Weight is secondary in this category.
View Quote

Budget may be close but I would strongly consider a treated, dry-down (800+) quilt.  Many are designed as both a quilt and will zip or close in a sleeping bag mode.  Only issue is many are cottage industries, but the benefit is you can have them add enough down to meet that 15-degree limit.  Down is about the only material that will get you the best compression, weight, and performance...just as the cost of...well, more cost.  

I'm sure there are some deals for off-the-shelf bags, but I've gone with custom...

Hammockgear
Jacks are Better

Two of the top of my head that make multi-function, down quilts.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Budget may be close but I would strongly consider a treated, dry-down (800+) quilt.  Many are designed as both a quilt and will zip or close in a sleeping bag mode.  Only issue is many are cottage industries, but the benefit is you can have them add enough down to meet that 15-degree limit.  Down is about the only material that will get you the best compression, weight, and performance...just as the cost of...well, more cost.  

I'm sure there are some deals for off-the-shelf bags, but I've gone with custom...

Hammockgear
Jacks are Better

Two of the top of my head that make multi-function, down quilts.

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually been considering a Quilt vs a sleeping bag. I plan to wear clean, dry layers with my bag/ quilt and I could even stretch up to a 20de bag/ quilt I think.. I'm just sick of throwing my sleeping bag in my ruck and losing 33% of my main compartment capacity and I don't like strapping bulky stuff to the outside. I will definitely check out those options.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Another question, I have a snugpak jungle bag I use for my summer bag. I was thinking of getting an HPG mountain Serape and wearing  layers under the MS, unzipping the Jungle bag into a blanket and putting that over the MS. Basically- base layer, RAB down puffy jacket- HPG MS and the Jungle bag as a blanket on top. Oklahoma typically doesn't get colder than about 15de except for freak storms and I can build a long fire with a reflector unless I'm trying to stealth camp. I am willing to suffer some when it comes to sleeping cold, just not looking to freeze to death.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another question, I have a snugpak jungle bag I use for my summer bag. I was thinking of getting an HPG mountain Serape and wearing  layers under the MS, unzipping the Jungle bag into a blanket and putting that over the MS. Basically- base layer, RAB down puffy jacket- HPG MS and the Jungle bag as a blanket on top. Oklahoma typically doesn't get colder than about 15de except for freak storms and I can build a long fire with a reflector unless I'm trying to stealth camp. I am willing to suffer some when it comes to sleeping cold, just not looking to freeze to death.
View Quote

Was going to say, get a heavish down/synthetic hoody to use with a summer bag or poncho liner/quilt. Should cover a lot of weather especially if you include a poncho/shelter piece and be less bulky than a 0 deg bag (may not be lighter, but covers better range of conditions).
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Was going to say, get a heavish down/synthetic hoody to use with a summer bag or poncho liner/quilt. Should cover a lot of weather especially if you include a poncho/shelter piece and be less bulky than a 0 deg bag (may not be lighter, but covers better range of conditions).
View Quote

I like this idea best, I'm just not sure if the combo would get me to a safe low temp or not. I wish there was a sleep system calculator for combining different bag/pad/bivy combos.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not  bad thought.

Last year at a Packers game, 0 degrees out, I was at the game in thermals (top and bottom), fleece shirt, fleece lined jeans, wool socks and gloves.  My jacket was a Kifaru Lost Park Parka.  Basically made like their woobie.

I have no doubt I could have slept at 15 degrees and been fine.  You could probably skip a sleeping bag with the right clothes
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have zero actual experience but some of the survivalist books recommend 100% wool blankets.  They are expensive, but cheaper than top of the line sleeping bags.  If you can get them surplus they are much cheaper, like $80-100.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not  bad thought.

Last year at a Packers game, 0 degrees out, I was at the game in thermals (top and bottom), fleece shirt, fleece lined jeans, wool socks and gloves.  My jacket was a Kifaru Lost Park Parka.  Basically made like their woobie.

I have no doubt I could have slept at 15 degrees and been fine.  You could probably skip a sleeping bag with the right clothes
View Quote

I appreciate your input. I’ve worked in weather 0 and below but being active vs resting in it is a big difference. Good to get that perspective.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have zero actual experience but some of the survivalist books recommend 100% wool blankets.  They are expensive, but cheaper than top of the line sleeping bags.  If you can get them surplus they are much cheaper, like $80-100.
View Quote

I’ve used a wool blanket while out on bushcrafting trips but it wasn’t very cold out. My main gripe is, wool is heavy and bulky compared to modern fabrics. For something recreational, I love wool. If I have to bug out, I need to conserve space and weight. Wool does well comparatively around a fire too, which is a plus for wool for sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
This is one of those very rare instances where I differ from ROCK6.  While down is the most efficient, commonly available insulation, it can be a severe liability when it becomes wet.

In a BOB, perhaps better to use a less-efficient synthetic insulation which is more easily dried when it becomes wet.  Note "When", not "If".

What is required, no matter what insulation is used, is a windproof barrier, protecting the enclosed insulation and user.  GI GoreTex Bivvy shell, or something similar would serve.

All this sort of stuff should be tried out in your backyard first.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is one of those very rare instances where I differ from ROCK6.  While down is the most efficient, commonly available insulation, it can be a severe liability when it becomes wet.

In a BOB, perhaps better to use a less-efficient synthetic insulation which is more easily dried when it becomes wet.  Note "When", not "If".

What is required, no matter what insulation is used, is a windproof barrier, protecting the enclosed insulation and user.  GI GoreTex Bivvy shell, or something similar would serve.

All this sort of stuff should be tried out in your backyard first.
View Quote

I have always been of the understanding that you have to be more careful with down than synthetic materials. I am not overly concerned about my sleep system getting wet in my pack as it has a separate waterproof compartment but once its laid out to use, it could be a concern, certainly. My shelter options currently are 2 different tents (Marmot Tungsten 2p and 3p) I have a few tarps as well but I'm seriously leaning toward a good Bivvy setup as a bug out shelter. Been looking at the outdoor research helium and the RaB Ascent. earth toned colors tend to narrow my search criteria as is with most backpacking gear, sadly. I'm not opposed to the GI bivvy but I can get a bit claustrophobic so I lean toward a hooped bivvy design.

Sleeping pads are another point of contention for me. I prefer solid, non inflatable pads because of my bad luck with inflatable ones but the packing size of the inflatables are far superior. I've been looking at a Klymit model designed to go in the sleeping bag but it has no discernible R value. I will probably just end up with a Thermarest Z pad or Savotta finish sleep pad.

I appreciate input from individuals that have BTDT with this stuff, like yourself and Rock6. Many thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went a different direction completely so bear with me as I go off topic.  I bought one of the USGI modular sleep systems with the light inner bag, heavier outer bag, the Gortex outer bivi cover and the sinch sac.  It’s heavy as hell but it is very versatile and originally I bought it for a winter camping trip with my son for Boy Scouts when the forecast called for a -20deg row temp.  

My son already had a -20 bag so he brought that plus a second 0-deg bag but I packed a second very cold weather bag so I got this military setup to try.  The downside is I am far from being a small guy at 6’3” and 260 pounds or so and the mummy shape of the military bag was cramped and I broke a shoulder a couple years ago and being forced to sleep compressed really hurt after a while BUT I actually had to get rid of the inner bag as even at -20-deg I was over heating with all the layers sleeping in a unheated tent.  It is a seriously warm system but adaptable for really any temperature.  

After that though I did end up buying a larger bag more like my son has simply because of my busted up shoulder.  

For my truck I have a surplus wool blanket that serves for emergencies as a GHB complement but for a BOB I would grab our camping gear if we could evacuate via BOV and if in the winter I would seriously prefer the options that modular sleep system offers.   If I had to bug out via foot, then a lighter bag (I use synthetic over down) would be preferred but long term bugging via foot means I failed to be prepared.  

Sorry for going off on a tangent.  We have light weight bags and fleece blankets but that weather isn’t really a survival threat like -20 or colder but really if our peeps are good (lamp lights, kerosene lanterns, kerosene heater, propane heaters, camp fire, etc) hopefully it would be highly unlikely that it got to the point that I need a -60 degree capable sleep system but those of us plan to that level which I consider PLAN Z or last resort!
View Quote

I appreciate your input and experience! I looked hard at the MSS and it no doubt serves our best men and women well, it's just on the big side for my liking. it may very well be what I go to when all is said and done. I know the right combination of products exist to get to my desired requirements, it's just really expensive, lol. My goal of my setup is : long term INCH/ worst case scenario/ plan Z type of thing. I have others options for things less stealth related. Basically I'm looking for a light, fast, modular system to survive without a fire or external heat source down to 0* ish, affording that I also wear some quality layers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I appreciate your input. I’ve worked in weather 0 and below but being active vs resting in it is a big difference. Good to get that perspective.
View Quote

Agreed.  Though I'd argue that being a football game hardly counts as activity.

The beer-sweater is real,  though
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
There are a couple of things that are situationally dependent for every one.

1. How warm or cold do you normally sleep. What might be a 0deg bac for me might only work as a 20 deg bag for you if you are a cold sleeper.

2. Available shelter.   Can you set up camp behind a natural windbreak or create something with a tarp or bicycle bag? Cattle shelter to break the wind? In an abandoned building where the ambient temp will be higher than outside conditions by simply being out of the elements?

3. Climate/situation.

The OP lists themselves is being in OK. Except for an occasional heavy winter storm (I spent 34 years in Kansas so I have an idea if their weather conditions) I can’t imagine ever needing much more then a 20 deg bag but then again we are all different. One major avenue of heat loss is the head. Another is your feet. I sleep with a beanie on and I carry a pie if oversized raggwool socks that are specifically for sleeping. While both have other uses than sleeping I have found that they both help decrease heat loss significantly.

I live in CO now and have for some time. My normal kit consists of  Kifaru Woobie and either a tarp shelter or a bivy bag. During our colder months I also toss my 20 deg bag in the trunk along with making sure it’s the bivy bag on my kit and a brown tarp in the trunk for additional shelter options.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Dumb question from someone who has only seen snow a few times in his life... For those of us in the South, would one of those mylar sleeping bags do the trick if we had to sleep outside in the winter? Aside from blue moon events, it's cold here when it gets into the 30s or 20s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A lot of variables, but good points.  I've been pretty impressed with the hydrophobic-treated down with wet conditions and high humidity.  However, for me, it doesn't matter if my bag is down or synthetic, it will be in a waterproof bag in a water resistant pack with a rain cover that is capable of being used as a float to swim across a lake (which I've done) and not get my sleeping bag/quilt wet.  Down does better over time if compressed verse synthetic insulation also, but again, my bags are usually stored beside the pack in a loose storage bag that allows them to maintain their loft.  There's some risk, but my dry bags in the pack allow me to just quickly stuff the bag in the pack and roll.  

You pack strategy and shelter are the two main areas to control unlike the weather and conditions.  For anything with a bivvy bag, I would recommend synthetic bags, at least if you have higher humidity or frequent wet conditions.  If it's a tent or a tarp that can get close to full closure, you can keep your bag much drier.  

Of course I use a hybrid situation for cold weather. A 850+fill hydrophobic treated down quilt and a synthetic (Primaloft Gold) insulated HPG Mountain Serape.  I can actually use them together (MTRSS like system), or just use the Serape if it's more humid/wet, but not quite as cold.  Good shelter up, the down bag makes sleeping so much better.  If you have a minimalist shelter, I would definitely go with synthetic. Down is an expensive option, but down is still a good choice if you understand it does need a little more care and maintenance, but hydrophobic down competes well with synthetic down (other than cost) in wet and humid conditions.  The big question is lowest temps.  You're going to have a much bulkier and heavier sleep system with synthetic insulation when you get below 15-10 degrees than with down and at those lower temps humidity is likely lower as well.  A lot depends on your location, climate, budget, and weight/compression requirements.

Quoted:
Dumb question from someone who has only seen snow a few times in his life... For those of us in the South, would one of those mylar sleeping bags do the trick if we had to sleep outside in the winter? Aside from blue moon events, it's cold here when it gets into the 30s or 20s.

Mylar is a plastic bag and you'll sweat your ass off.  There is actually a backcountry system designed like this, but it's risky and you're basically sleeping naked in a plastic bag that condenses all perspiration and wets out everything inside.  It will keep you warm (still need some insulation), but you really need all your clothing kept dry.

Everything is about thermoregulation and moisture management.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The best use ive found for those cheap mylar bags was as a wind or sun block when such a thing is needed. For use as a bivy sack for staying warm there are way better options at your local outdoor store and on-line, with not a whole lot of bulk....think something around the size of an average 12 oz soda can. Still nothing I'd want as primary sleep gear outside of emergency scenarios
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
A sleeping bag is the one place you want to buy once and cry once. Look at it this way: thru the life of the bag, you'll have many, many cold or uncomfortable nights to rethink your purchase mistakes while trying to sleep....

$300 should get something decent, but you're close enough to something by Feathered Friends to just go for it at that point. Really hard to get a better bag than from them, and if you ever plan to use that 15 degree rating, well, get one that will be comfortable at that temperature. One of the things that sold me on the FF bags were that you could get them with Scholler Nanosphere. This is a fabric that is waterproof by it's nature and not because they coated it afterward-it will never wash off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
If the bag is going to stay compressed in your pack, I’d consider synthetic over down. While down may pack smaller and loft better than synthetics, it shouldn’t be stored compressed. Neither should synthetics, but since they don’t loft as much to begin with you lose less by storing them compressed.

I have 3 down sleeping bags, a Western Mountaineering EverLite (45F), a Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy (15F), and a NEMO Sonic (0F.) All are 800+ fill down, duck down for the NEMO and Sierra Designs and goose for the WM. The SD & NEMO have treated down for water resistance. I'd use the Sonic at 15 degrees, it’s really about a 10F bag. The Mobile Mummy is a 30 degree bag, the WM has kept me warm at a little below 40F. I have a long (6’ 6”) Sonic even though I’m 5’11” and it has room for EVERYTHING at the foot of the bag - boots, daytime baselayer, water bottle, etc. I use a Sea To Summit eVent compression sack and it fits easily in my 50l pack’s sleeping bag compartment. Weight is a little over 3lb for mine.

If I was using it in a BOB I'd keep it and the stuff sack in the storage bag next to the BOB, leave all compression straps loose on the pack and take 2 minutes to stuff the bag in the compression sack when it’s time to go. Stick the compression sack in the sleeping bag compartment and go. Even better, if you’ll be in a vehicle screw the backpack and keep everything in trash bags in large SteriLite style totes. Throw a pack in one if you need it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

i dont think its worth upgrading at that price because its not enough to get top tier gear. i'd save more and then look into western mountaineering or feathered friends down bags. you could consider a quilt if you have a great pad already. down bags will be the smallest and lightest you can get, but it's more like a 500-600 dollar price point for starters and up from there. i have an WM ultra light i love for backpacking, i got it on special one year for about 300 but that was a long time ago now. it doesn't get smaller and lighter than that and still keep you warm well below freezing. made in the US too. i've heard good things about sea to summit bags but have no personal experience with them.

as im sure most people know companies claimed temperature ratings vary wildly. a western mountaineering 20 degree bag is warmer than many of the cheap 0 degree bags i've used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top