Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 9:13:45 PM EDT
We have a multi family weekend trip planned for May, and part of the tradition is for the younger ones to have to start the fire pit fire only with camping/survival type strikers/fire starters.

The first year we did this, we handed the older kids each one of the USGI magnesium block/striker things, told them to go to the woods for firewood, and by God they had a fire going in no time.

I swear, if you gave a group of 12 year olds 2 sticks, some time, and some privacy; you'll have a fire.

So the current kids, 11 years old, aren't as [whatever] as the first batch of kids, so I'm looking for super easy to use fire starters/strikers that I can get for them to use this year.

(And then next year they'll just get the magnesium block)
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have to be striker based? Have them make firestarters out of cotton balls, vaseline and a cardboard egg carton.  Or give them a 9v battery and some fine steel wool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Light My Fire Army 2.0 firestarter.  Inexpensive and easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not use the same thing?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Kids got this for camping last summer, works great.

flint, steel, rope
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not use the same thing?
View Quote

This. They’ll figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
anecdotal... in my Scout days ( late 1950s) I was lucky enough to have two Scoutmasters that had been WWII combat vets, one a Pacific Marine and the other an OSS officer in the Balkans... living in Florida, one of the first mini hikes new Scouts went on was a trip to a nearby Gulf beach in search of grey or black chert (flint)... there were deposits just off shore within wading distance that had been used by early Timucua natives... optimum size was about 1x1x 1/2".... used with the back edge of a folded knife, or suitable piece of steel was one of the components of your "survival" kit ... we did not have real Scout stuff, so Army/Navy surplus supplied most of the supplies.. a GI pistol belt with canteen and cup was the basis and was on you anytime you were away from camp... attached to the belt was a GI bandage pouch.. ..in those days snake bite reduction was back in the dark ages, so a Cutter snake bite kit was included, bottle of tincture of iodine (antiseptic and water purify) dime for phone call, matches in a 35mm film container or real match safe, compass, roll of black friction tape, couple of strips of lighter pine, couple of long shoe laces

you might try the old way with the chert if you have deposits available... cotton ball with vaseline and OOOO steel wool will both catch friction spark (don't need the battery)

for fire starters... we had a lot of pitch pine in those days so a couple of strips... today, a piece of corrugated cardboard cut lengthwise parallel with the corrugation... slip a couple of strike anywhere matches in the holes up to the head, dip in molten paraffin... you get about a 2 minute burn

for canteen cup heat source... metal shoe polish can with a ring of lamp wick filled with melted paraffin... for small hurricane lights Gerber baby food jar with about 1/3 filled with paraffin and cotton weave cord wick, book matches fit inside the lamp and lid kept dry and used to extinguish the light... block of paraffin fuels both
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
When my son was 6 he managed to start a fire with a magnifying glass in the winter.  HE had his toddler little sister bringing him more fuel.  By the time I walked out of the shop after smelling smoke and found them (luckily in the driveway) the blaze was sizable.  We then had a long discussion . . . He can now start a fire BUT ONLY IN THE FIREPIT and not if its too windy.  He's only allowed to use flint, ferro, magnifying glass and no accelerants.  He's 11 now and the sister is 7.

He likes these Ferro Rods he got for Christmas last year.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D18CM87/

These little pocket sized fresnels are crazy cheap in bulk and we stash them everywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3VQ8VY/

These 5x7 are $5ea but really get a blaze going and he's done some wood burning signs, etc with them.  Very patient he is.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ET4936A/r
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to use what I had on me.

Took an hour for me to start a fire with my boot lace and sticks.

Thanks, father. You da man
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Towards the end of my Boy Scout career, I started cheating. I carried 2 ounces of potassium permanganate and a small vial of glycerin on me at all times when I was on campouts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Towards the end of my Boy Scout career, I started cheating. I carried 2 ounces of potassium permanganate and a small vial of glycerin on me at all times when I was on campouts.
View Quote

When I was in a Civil Air Patrol ground SAR squadron in the 1980s, I carried a 15 minute road flare in my butt pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top