Looks like it's out of production

https://sawyersafetravel.com/sp191
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like it's out of production

https://sawyersafetravel.com/sp191
View Quote
Glad I got mine.  Already assembled and labeled the 5-gal food-grade bucket with screw-on lid.

Maybe they want people to buy proprietary water containers.  Maybe had too many complaints from folks who managed to screw-up the installation of the original unit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hydroblu Versa Flow offers options for hooking up to a 5 gal bucket.    
I haven't tried one myself, but they were kinda popular with the thru hiking crowd for a little while now (the filter itself-not the gravity feed bucket).
Looks like a Sawyer mini on steroids but supposedly has a flow rate similar to the full sized Squeeze.

https://hydroblu.com/water-filters/
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]

LIFESTRAW MISSION
HIGH-VOLUME GRAVITY WATER FILTER AND PURIFIER

$129.95

Protects against viruses, bacteria, parasites, dirt, sand, and cloudiness
Independently lab tested, durable and BPA-free

High performance purifier protects against 99.999% of viruses (including Rotavirus, Hepatitis A), 99.999999% of bacteria (including E. coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia, Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics, dirt, sand, and cloudiness
Filters up to 3.1 gallons (12 L) per hour, perfect for groups, camping, and survival
Convenient roll-bag and shoulder strap for easy transport and flexibility to hang virtually anywhere; built-in backwashing system
The long-lasting microbiological purifier provides up to 4,755 gallons (18,000 liters) of safe water

Lifestraw Mission
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad I got mine.  Already assembled and labeled the 5-gal food-grade bucket with screw-on lid.

Maybe they want people to buy proprietary water containers.  Maybe had too many complaints from folks who managed to screw-up the installation of the original unit.
View Quote

I've got a couple of them put back and was looking to add a third for redundancy.  Not going to happen now.  I'm guessing they just didn't sell enough to make it worth while.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Hydroblu Versa Flow offers options for hooking up to a 5 gal bucket.    
I haven't tried one myself, but they were kinda popular with the thru hiking crowd for a little while now (the filter itself-not the gravity feed bucket).
Looks like a Sawyer mini on steroids but supposedly has a flow rate similar to the full sized Squeeze.

https://hydroblu.com/water-filters/
View Quote

Thanks but not really in the same class.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2631/0778/products/LSM12_web_large.png?v=1552965685

LIFESTRAW MISSION
HIGH-VOLUME GRAVITY WATER FILTER AND PURIFIER

$129.95

Protects against viruses, bacteria, parasites, dirt, sand, and cloudiness
Independently lab tested, durable and BPA-free

High performance purifier protects against 99.999% of viruses (including Rotavirus, Hepatitis A), 99.999999% of bacteria (including E. coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia, Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics, dirt, sand, and cloudiness
Filters up to 3.1 gallons (12 L) per hour, perfect for groups, camping, and survival
Convenient roll-bag and shoulder strap for easy transport and flexibility to hang virtually anywhere; built-in backwashing system
The long-lasting microbiological purifier provides up to 4,755 gallons (18,000 liters) of safe water

Lifestraw Mission
View Quote

Thanks, I was looking at this the other night.  My home built "survive in suburbia" water system incorporates the Sawyer but it might be worth it to see if I can make this work in place of or along with the Sawyer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s what you want........super easy to use/clean filters a shit ton and fast, can buy replacement filter.  Yes good for virus as well.  Have had mine years still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Ecology-First-Elite-Purifier/dp/B00AI91958
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to get one for my father last year but found it nowhere.  I contacted Sawyer and they confirmed it was no longer in production.  I have two of these.  Perhaps the demand was low and you do need to flush it daily depending on water quality and if you prefilter with another medium. Responses from customer service below.  I never asked about covid but she mentioned it anyway

Thanks for reaching out to us and for your interest in our filter.  Unfortunately, we have discontinued the SP191.

FYI, while our SP191, will remove waterborne viruses, it will not remove COVID-19 as it is not a water virus.  We do not have concerns about viruses in North  American  waters as they simply cannot survive.  Viruses derive from contaminated human sewage and die shortly after entering a body of water and occur most often in developing nations due to poor treatment of sewage.  The only viruses with the potential to survive in water  are hepatitis (which is rare) and Polio (which is extremely rare).

If you are US-based and you are looking for a general emergency filter, we'd suggest looking at our 0.1 Micron Filters as they are a more affordable and easier to use option.  Our Point One filters are designed to remove the harmful bacteria, protozoa, and cysts commonly found in wilderness water but are not capable of removing chemicals or viruses.  However, bacteria, protozoa, and cysts are the most common pathogens that make people sick around the world.

Viruses, chemicals, and heavy metals are much less common and are usually known issues in specific areas so we would definitely recommend researching the areas that you travel.  With the advent of the Select Foam Filter units we can offer the same virus protection in a much more affordable, easy to use filter.  You can learn more about these filters here - https://sawyer.com/products/select-filter-and-purifier/.

--snip--

I asked a follow up question regarding any performance issues that may have prompted removal from the market.  She seemed a little irritated at this point judging by the excessive commas:

No, [Avramel], it was not, although due to the significantly higher level of filtration, the flow rate of the PointZeroTwo is considerably slower than the PointONE filters and needs to be backwashed more frequently.  US customers were buying them when not really needing them (no viruses live in US waters as stated below).  FYI, the PointZeroTwo filter does not remove chemicals or pesticides, it just adds protection from viruses.

For these reasons, the Sawyer team felt that the PointONE filters were a better option, and if more filtering was needed, our Select Series, S1 or S3, both of which will filter out chemicals and pesticides, is another option.  The S3 will also filter viruses and heavy metals.

--snip--

You can come to your own conclusions on potential performance issues.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I got one back in the day, when I was really active in this part of the forum.

Sawyer markets to backpackers and hikers.
It just does fit into that lifestyle.... Im sure it was a poor seller after its initial release.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I would just add that anytime one uses "cloudy" water with any filter, having some sort of easily cleanable/replaceable pre-filter is a good idea.  For example, tying a section of nylon stocking/hose around the filter body (in some cases), or the intake hose inlet (most cases), will prevent a fair bit of the worst gunk from making its' way onto the filter.  Usually far easier/faster to clean/replace the pre-filter than the main filter.  This "pre-filtering" also has the likely benefit of preventing the worst particulates from entering the "guts" of pump filters, this likely preventing some amount of abrasion-caused wear and tear due to the intake of large particulates.  It is simpler to prevent such things than to repair them.

Speaking of which, every filter user should own at least a couple of MFR-made repair kits for each their filter(s), and be reasonably familiar with how to install them.  Having spare filters goes without saying.  If one or the other is no longer offered for your filter, then it's time to consider a replacement; your unit is an "orphan" and its days are numbered.  

As a general practice, since one can seldom be certain whether or not the next water source will be "cloudy" or not, it is simpler, and less hassle to leave the pre-filter always attached, and to clean it between uses, if at all possible.

Going a bit further, it might be worth considering being inoculated against some water-borne (and other) diseases.  Such diseases are not at all common in the US at present, but times change.  If one plans to travel to certain third world countries, such inoculations become practically mandatory.  It is also possible that if an infected person comes to the US, you might be exposed to such diseases.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and nothing in this post is offered as medical advice.

I don't intend to get into the conversation concerning whether or not to take vaccines at all.  That's a personal decision, and none of my business.

This link will be very informative: https://www.who.int/ith/ITH2009Chapter5.pdf

This general link about vaccines is also highly suggested: https://www.hhs.gov/immunization/diseases/index.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top