Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2021 7:26:21 PM EDT
I have a new truck and I want to keep some supplies in it, just incase.
I dont have a ton of storage space but what I do have is under the rear seats, they fold up allowing you to put stuff under it. You can lock the seats so they cant fold up anymore.
I have a softtopper over the bed which will allow for some storage there as well. Im not terribly worried about theft as I live in a relatively low crime area.
The under seat storage without posting a picture, I did have a small pre-made "survival" backpack, a very large military blanket, an extra jacket and I still had a bit of room left.
Now what I would like to do is get a basic set of tools (im presuming most new vehicles are metric right?) I have a few of the craftsman sets that come in the plastic toolbox that usually falls apart. Or I could put together something more custom that takes up less space. (I have a shit ton of sockets, ratchets, wrenches, extensions, breaker bars on and on). Being that it is a newer truck I dont anticipate having to do alot of on the side of the road repairs but things like seatbelt cutters, fire extinguisher, lighting to see to change that flat tire etc would be handy.
Im also going to try and put together something slightly more robust than the pre-made backpack I had. Ive got several other backpacks that I could use instead (vanquest gear).
One last thing, I dont usually drive too far from home but almost always have my kids with me. My two youngest are 5 and 6 years old.
What would you guys throw in there?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
#1.........TP for. Mayday #2

Breaker bar and deep well socket for lugnuts.  Pawnshop or harbor freight socket to not break up a full set.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
#1.........TP for. Mayday #2

Breaker bar and deep well socket for lugnuts.  Pawnshop or harbor freight socket to not break up a full set.
View Quote

what socket size range ya think?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Bottle jack, jack stand, blankets, extra pair of old tennis shoes, socks, tshirt, shorts/pants. Ice scraper etc...
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bottle jack, jack stand, blankets, extra pair of old tennis shoes, socks, tshirt, shorts/pants. Ice scraper etc...
View Quote

I've got a highlift I'll mount in the bed.
Was thinking jumper cables and one of those jump starter pack things maybe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep heavy duty jumper cables, via air compressor, flares, first aid kit. I'd like to add some basic tow straps.

I have an old small tool bag with some adjustable wrenches, wire cutters, couple screw drivers, hacksaw blade (for hoses), electrical tape, fuses. Also keep a qt of oil and paper towels.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a reflective hard hat hat bands.  Fits on my head or arms and makes you seen from oncoming lights.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
First aid.
Basic tools that fit your truck.
Water.
Extra clothes, shoes, blanket/sleeping bag.
Jacket.
Spare batteries for electronics.

Reflective marker
Fire extinguisher
Road flares
Jack
Lug wrench
Fix a flat
mini air pump
Jumper cables
Washer fluid
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hi-lift is useless on most stock vehicles unless you have frame mounted sliders and/or aftermarket bumpers.  The Lift-Mate is useful for lifting a wheel to put material under it but not for changing a tire.  A lot of new vehicles don't have actual tow points either so it's not even useful as a winch; of course to use it as a winch you need additional stuff.  

Not a fan of those blow molded plastic tool boxes; they keep stuff organized but have a lot of wasted space and never seen to actually fit anywhere while taking up a lot of room.  A tool bag or roll with the tools you need/want is generally more practical.  

There are plenty of lists on here already, just figure out what you think you may actually need and what you think you may use and then how to carry it.  If you don't have room for a loaded pack, put the items in smaller pouches/bags and carry an appropriately sized pack that you can quickly put everything in. One thing I am a big fan of is having a "boo-boo kit" easily accessible, especially if you have kids.  I have a first aid kit in the back but I want it to stay packed and the chances of needing it are slim- the "boo-boo kit" in the console is because I'm far more likely to need a band-aid or ibuprofen or tweezers to remove a splinter than I am trauma gear.  It's easier to get to and that way I'm not robbing my main 1st aid kit.   Note, I keep a tourniquet and an Israeli dressing in my door pocket along with Mora, a Streamlight Scorpion, a can of bear spray (added after bears became a problem in other cities by blocking roads, attacking cars and such) and paper maps.  Honestly, my truck is like a Swiss Army knife and has way too much stuff in it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Under the seats of my truck I keep:

NOCO diesel jump starter
Large FAK in sling bag
12v air compressor
Tool roll
Road atlas
Folding shovel
Woobie
Tow straps
Ratchet straps
48oz Nalgene
Bottle jack

For road trips I throw in a small floor jack and tool bag with cordless impact wrench and sockets for tires on my truck and trailers
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A hi-lift is useless on most stock vehicles unless you have frame mounted sliders and/or aftermarket bumpers.  The Lift-Mate is useful for lifting a wheel to put material under it but not for changing a tire.  A lot of new vehicles don't have actual tow points either so it's not even useful as a winch; of course to use it as a winch you need additional stuff.  

Not a fan of those blow molded plastic tool boxes; they keep stuff organized but have a lot of wasted space and never seen to actually fit anywhere while taking up a lot of room.  A tool bag or roll with the tools you need/want is generally more practical.  

There are plenty of lists on here already, just figure out what you think you may actually need and what you think you may use and then how to carry it.  If you don't have room for a loaded pack, put the items in smaller pouches/bags and carry an appropriately sized pack that you can quickly put everything in. One thing I am a big fan of is having a "boo-boo kit" easily accessible, especially if you have kids.  I have a first aid kit in the back but I want it to stay packed and the chances of needing it are slim- the "boo-boo kit" in the console is because I'm far more likely to need a band-aid or ibuprofen or tweezers to remove a splinter than I am trauma gear.  It's easier to get to and that way I'm not robbing my main 1st aid kit.   Note, I keep a tourniquet and an Israeli dressing in my door pocket along with Mora, a Streamlight Scorpion, a can of bear spray (added after bears became a problem in other cities by blocking roads, attacking cars and such) and paper maps.  Honestly, my truck is like a Swiss Army knife and has way too much stuff in it.
View Quote

+1 on this.

Hi-Lift sounds neat, but if you look at your truck - WHERE exactly can you hook it up to lift your truck without damaging your bodywork or bumpers?  

Plus the Hi-lift can be dangerous if you don't plan it well (a vehicle lifted can fall over if ground is uneven)

Things I found useful.

IFAK - (individual First Aid Kit) you can range from mild to wild.  I try to span with stuff kids need (boo-boos) separated from what Dad might need (Trauma) Kids side - sun screen, various sized waterproof band aids, anti-biotic cream / spray, sunburn cream (Alvera), gauze & ace bandages to wrap if needed to keep in place.  I have this on a belt pouch so we can take it hiking for the day. Trauma side is a CAT tourniquet, couple of Combat Dressings, Quick Clot, ect... )

Space Blankets - they keep you warm if you get stuck in cool to cold weather.  I also have a few fleece blankets for general use.  Combine the two for best effect (fleece with Space Blanket over top to keep warmth in but avoid some of the Condensation issues since space blankets don't "breath".  Also the one use blankets are tiny, so put a few of those in your first aid kit or hiking kit because hypothermia can strike even in the "warmer" weather.

Lifeboat Water - Several Pouches - this stores in hot or cold weather better than bottled water.  also a life straw & a bottle of water tablets (Just in case)

Energy Bars & Snacks - nothing helps a child's morale than not having an empty tummy if you are stuck. Avoid Chocolatey stuff as it doesn't weather heat well.

Have Toilet Paper, Wet Wipes, Hand Sanitizer & some "Ladies Hygiene"  products.

Have a few lighters available - rubbing sticks to try to start a fire at night when you are very cold sucks compared to flick of the Bic.

Air Compressor - doesn't have to be big or fancy - I picked up a couple of Honda Inflators from hybrids (they don't get spare tires) that will fill a tire in a few minutes & run off the electrical outlet.  They also have a Fix a Flat shot for last ditch mobility.  Guess what all my kids got for their cars this Christmas?

Tire Plug Kit - inexpensive & can keep you rolling, especially if you can aid air (as above)

Having a couple of Tow Straps - don't go cheap.  Also have a way - place to attach the Tow Straps to your vehicle front & rear.  You may need to get some tubular loop runners to loop over frame or bumper (be sure your bumper won't pull off!).  Do this on your driveway BEFORE you get stuck in cold muddy water (Trust me!).  I have one "stretch" strap 30' and one 30' "static" strap 20,000 LB for about 60' of reach to a helpful extraction.

I have a Come Along Winch in my truck.   I've been able to self extract a number of times by using the tow straps to reach a solid object and some time to crank to yank.  However, many tow straps are "snatch" straps and are thus designed to stretch under load to assist in extraction when used with a pull vehicle - so the "Snatch" straps don't work so well for pulling with a hand winch.

E-Tool - have a shovel.  Get a decent one & avoid Cheapo Chinese knock offs.

Get Extra Long Jumper Cables - trust me - sometimes you can't get vehicles battery to battery due to terrain.

Obviously - a 4 way tire tool, a few spare lug nuts, work gloves. understand how your spare tire is mounted & practice to lower & where & how your jack works. If your spare size matched to the tires on the ground (not a mini-donut) or smaller "stock" tire if you have upsized your tires?

Tool kit - doesn't have to be a full mechanics set, but I also got all my kids a Harbor Freight $29 "complete kit" with sockets & ratchet, wrenchs, channel locks, screw drivers enough to make on the road repairs.

Hope this Helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Multimeter. Don't keep the batteries in it in case they leak.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top